DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Sandisk Firewire Reader Not recognized on Laptop: Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/479608-sandisk-firewire-reader-not-recognized-laptop-help.html)

Sigmund Reboquio May 29th, 2010 10:12 AM

Sandisk Firewire Reader Not recognized on Laptop: Help

Hi guys,

I need your help. I have a laptop PC with 4pin firewire, and a sandisk firewire reader (6pin).
I connected it to an adapter 6-4pin adapter, but it doenst power on the sandisk firewire reader.

Do you have any suggestions how to make it work? I really need it for my SDE I thought I would be able to transfer files with firewire. I read that only Mac has this capability.

thanks,

Jim Cancil May 29th, 2010 10:34 AM

I have a cheap little Lexar Firewire and both stills and video come into - my Mac - very fast vs USB 2.0. Sorry, I do not have a clue how PCs work...

Yet, and maybe it's different over there, but when I hear 4pin-to-6pin adaptor I automatically think incompatible. Good luck with a workaround.

Jim

Carl Rubin May 29th, 2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigmund Reboquio (Post 1532816)
Hi guys,

I need your help. I have a laptop PC with 4pin firewire, and a sandisk firewire reader (6pin).
I connected it to an adapter 6-4pin adapter, but it doenst power on the sandisk firewire reader.

thanks,

Four pin firewire ports do not provide power to the attached devices. Replace the four pin port with a 6 pin. Or get a Mac.

Ed Cubillan May 29th, 2010 06:18 PM

Most 6 pin firewire readers are not compatible with 4 pin firewire ports. 9 pin firewire readers are not compatible with 4 or 6 pin firewire ports. You should be able to buy a 6 or 9 pin firewire pc card, but I suggest going with a 9 pin firewire pc card.

Chris Soucy May 29th, 2010 08:21 PM

Hi Sigmund.................

Quote:

I read that only Mac has this capability.

Er, what capability would that be, then?

Firewire? Nope, think again.

I would suggest you find a machine (any machine) that has 6 pin firewire, transfer your files to it and use optical media to get it to where you want it to go.

CS

Chuck Spaulding May 30th, 2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

I read that only Mac has this capability.

That depends on what you mean by Mac, I think it only works with an iPhone running iTunes 9.0...

Ed Cubillan May 30th, 2010 06:40 PM

As I mentioned, just get a firewire PC card for your laptop. Just search for Firewire 800.
Newegg.com - firewire 800 expresscard

Even though you need firewire port with 6 pins (firewire 400), I would go with a firewire 800, which uses 9 pins. This way, if you decide to get a faster reader, you won't have the same problems again.