Sandisk Firewire Reader Not recognized on Laptop: Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 29th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Sandisk Firewire Reader Not recognized on Laptop: Help

Hi guys,

I need your help. I have a laptop PC with 4pin firewire, and a sandisk firewire reader (6pin).
I connected it to an adapter 6-4pin adapter, but it doenst power on the sandisk firewire reader.

Do you have any suggestions how to make it work? I really need it for my SDE I thought I would be able to transfer files with firewire. I read that only Mac has this capability.

thanks,
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have a cheap little Lexar Firewire and both stills and video come into - my Mac - very fast vs USB 2.0. Sorry, I do not have a clue how PCs work...

Yet, and maybe it's different over there, but when I hear 4pin-to-6pin adaptor I automatically think incompatible. Good luck with a workaround.

Jim
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund Reboquio View Post
Hi guys,

I need your help. I have a laptop PC with 4pin firewire, and a sandisk firewire reader (6pin).
I connected it to an adapter 6-4pin adapter, but it doenst power on the sandisk firewire reader.

thanks,
Four pin firewire ports do not provide power to the attached devices. Replace the four pin port with a 6 pin. Or get a Mac.
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #4
New Boot

Most 6 pin firewire readers are not compatible with 4 pin firewire ports. 9 pin firewire readers are not compatible with 4 or 6 pin firewire ports. You should be able to buy a 6 or 9 pin firewire pc card, but I suggest going with a 9 pin firewire pc card.
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Sigmund.................

Quote:
I read that only Mac has this capability.
Er, what capability would that be, then?

Firewire? Nope, think again.

I would suggest you find a machine (any machine) that has 6 pin firewire, transfer your files to it and use optical media to get it to where you want it to go.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
I read that only Mac has this capability.
That depends on what you mean by Mac, I think it only works with an iPhone running iTunes 9.0...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #7
New Boot

As I mentioned, just get a firewire PC card for your laptop. Just search for Firewire 800.
Newegg.com - firewire 800 expresscard

Even though you need firewire port with 6 pins (firewire 400), I would go with a firewire 800, which uses 9 pins. This way, if you decide to get a faster reader, you won't have the same problems again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD