Affordable DSLR rig? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #31
Major Player

After a few tests with the rig, I can say the ergonomics for my 7D is spot on. The left offset and height is perfect and adjustable. I am using a LCD viewfinder which gives me extra contact point.
The balance is good for a DSLR - no counterbalance is needed which was my big worry as I need a lightweight rig to travel with. For long lenses - my 70-200mm there is an adjustable height support as well.
I have spent thousands on rigs in the past - for my Ex1 and Ex3 - its a nice change to get a lighweight rig that does the job on all counts .... including price!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #32
Major Player

I've tried quite a few rigs and I've found that I've been most pleased with just using a monopod.

I've got a support belt from a DVRig Pro that I use with it if I'm moving, if I'm standing still I just put the pod on the ground. So far it's worked great and very transportable.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #33
Trustee

Shocking! You did not spend $7,000 on your DSLR rig?? Tz, tz...

;)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM   #34
New Boot

"I think people who buy expensive DSLR rigs hoping that they will magically help them make fantastic movies, will quickly discover that a $2 wooden plank with two handles on the sides and the cam mounted in the middle does an equally good or better job. And I'm not even exaggerating taht much ;)"

Alex I'm new to this theme so please pardon my naïveté. Most of the experience I have with video is on ENG type cameras. I thought that was the original idea on making support rigs for the "compact" crop of video cameras that lack the dimensions or pads to be held steady shoulder mounted. Thing is the DSLR's also lack pro mic onboard sound ins and the built-in pre-amp system sucks added to the more crucial detail that the exquisite optical focusing system they have for stills is off when recording video, that is if the auto focusing system of the camera/lens would be any good for shooting video. Added to all this the camera's batteries won't last your typical video grabbing workday (come to think of it I'm wondering why I'm considering this camera at all).

Anyway, the nice guys from Switronix (no affiliation) made a cable to tap a regular 14.4 Volt / 90 W/hour pro ENG type battery via Canon's DR-E6 DC Coupler. So we're talking $44.95 for the DR-E6, $129.95 for the Switronix XP-DSLR-C power tap and at least $579.90 for a couple of V type batteries (pick your favorite brand), plus taxes, shipping and handling and that takes care of the juice shortage. I believe there's a consensus here regarding the Juiced Link pre-amps for those of us who don't have the inclination to contemplate the on-location workflow ergonomics of two system sound, and I also happen to have a liking for the Small HD monitor being that I really don't think the loupe way is an economical alternative to an external monitor, specially regarding the price of the better ones like the Zacuto, e.g. I also have an inclination towards the dimmable LED litepanels MicroPro hybrid, which could double as a flash for any still taking (and I also plan to do lots of stills... Aha! Now I remember! That was why I wanted to get one of these in the first place!).

So, all of the above, plus a Røde mic for example, to be portable, has to go on me or on the camera, and I don't think the hot shoe mount AND the tripod screw can cope.

Pulling focus with my left hand ON the lens focus ring comes like second nature to me, anything else would be very awkward. Having a focus pulling assistant via a follow focus rig would be nice but not too practical for run'n gun type shooting. How could I do that with a rig like the one Jon's got if I have to counter-balance the thing holding the handle with my left? (thing's offset to the left, no?). And if I have my right hand busy holding the other handle, how am I supposed to operate the zoom ring? No need to re-compose the scene anymore nowadays? Zoom with my legs?

On the wood for rig material: now you're going off giving guys ideas and we will be seeing shortly 5 or 6 competitors on the "ecological" rig market!
Hector Landaeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:55 AM   #35
Trustee

Yup, VDSLRs are no substitute for the standard shoulder-mounted cams. Should they be? I look at them as an extremely liberating devices, allowing operator to fly the cam in the free manner due to small form factor/weight, yet deliver big results due to good image quality (pro lenses, good image sensors, OK compression.)

So adding all the external stuff kills the advantage, IMO. (Yes, I tried it myself, guilty...)

If you want an HD camera for indie productions that does it all, why not consider Sony Z5U with this Flash memory unit: HVR-MC1. These will get you a prosumer camcorder with built-in sound, monitor, ND filters, optical image stabilization, and all the in-cam video adjustments you need. Lens is excellent. Video quality is great. Cost is 3x that of Canon 7D though.

About the wooden plank camera stabilizer. Actually not my idea. Legendary Stu Maschwitz's brother did that years ago with small camcorders, see

book. So unfortunately, green credit goes to the Maschwitzs of ILM fame this time...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #36
Inner Circle

As I noted in another thread manufacturers producing expensive equipment for DSLR video shooters remind me of those vast selection of lures that you find in fishing tackle shops. The lures are far more successful in luring the fisherman to part with his cash than in actually catching a fish.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD