Converting to SD for quick editing on old laptop?? Best way? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting to SD for quick editing on old laptop?? Best way?

Hey guys, getting dangerously close to ordering a 550d. My concern in with editing as there is no money for a system upgrade.

Im NOT a computer/techy guy at all, and alot of the stuff at the minuite is over my head.

My goal is to use my existing Laptop:

Turion Tl60 2.0ghz Dual core
2g Ram 667 DDR2

And convert the footage into not only something Windows Movie Maker (dont laugh) can handle, but also down res to SD.

This will allow me to take shot offtage and make nice quick rough cut ups. I can then re-edit the whole thing when I have a better machine.

I know I will have to convert the files from .MOV, but what about Down resing them?? Any advice?

As I say Im not a tech guy, I like to keep things mega simple.

Thanks for the help
James
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Forgot to mention, Ive used the above machine for a couple of friends wedding in SD and it performed fine. As I say Im only looking to make basic edits to get the flow of a piece. although I would like it to stay looking 'nice' in SD.

Also, would I be correct in saying that the machine should be good enough to archive the footage from card to hard drive for use at a later date?

Thanks
James
James Millward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD