Focusing Canon 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #1
New Boot

Focusing Canon 7D

Hi guys!

In two weeks I will be shooting a relatives wedding with three 7d's. I am a little concern in regards to getting critical focus with these cameras since you have to do it manually on the go. I really shouldn't have a problem during the ceremony since everyone will be kinda still, but I am worried about the reception(people moving around, dancing).

Any tips on how to achieve good focus?

What are you guys using to achieve good focus?

Thanks.
Rafael Arguello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Trustee

If you want the extreme DOF, Z-Finder with follow focus is how my best results happen.
If the shot doesn't require it, expand your DOF a bit by increasing the f-stop to somewhere around 10-16.
I've used that when I have too many other things going on to deal with manually focusing.
Since you have a 7D, you could also use an external monitor.
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

All shots do not have to be shallow depth of field, for the shots where you want great focus choose a wide angle lens and stop it down to f8 - f16, you will have most of the scene in focus allowing you to move. Just remember to keep a minimum distance away from you nearest subject.

On a 24mm lens to give an example, if I focus at 5 feet using f16, the depth of field ranges from 2.5 feet to infinity.
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

A good point is to know how much light you will have on the wedding. I shot one a few weeks ago in a church using a 17-50 2.8, a 11-16 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 and I had to shoot everything on 2.8 and 800 - 1000 iso. Sometimes is very difficult to control the DOF. I was afraid to get a noisy picture by using a higher number. A good advice is a follow focus and lots of practice, of course, and if you're under the sun an LCD viewfinder is a must. But mainly I think is practice pulling the focus. Lately I'm trying to film for some company a horse galloping towards me with the 7D and is really difficult!! I'd need some advice too! :)
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD