IS for video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 18th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #16
Inner Circle

IS is NOT essential for handheld work. If it was you'd be denying the existence of 100 years of documentary film-making. Desirable, yes, essential, no way.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #17
Major Player

I think Ian meant essential with regard to the 550d, which is very small and light, which as we can all agree makes a big difference to camera stability.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
IS is NOT essential for handheld work. If it was you'd be denying the existence of 100 years of documentary film-making. Desirable, yes, essential, no way.
Steve
The documentary filmmakers used heavier, more ergonomic cameras. Even with a rig on a small DSLR, IS makes a huge difference. Try shooting with a bare 550D/T2i with and without IS - you'll know see for yourself.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Steve
Most of those documentary films makers didn't us a camera with a CMOS sensor.

That isn't a judgement or endorsement one way or the other, but any shaky movement can ruin a shot with these camera's. Its just one of the limitations that we have to learn to deal with and IS can make a big difference.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #20
Inner Circle

OK, I take your points. Still correct to say that it's not essential, but good points.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #21
Trustee

I sometimes use IS on telephoto lenses, such as the 300mm L, but always prefer to use a tripod for most footage. The onboard mic picks up every single squeak and click of the lens, so I'm glad that I use a dual sound system so that I can concentrate on the shot.
Even in situations where I'm not using the Zoom H4, I completely ignore the problems of the IS lens sounds, knowing that I can easily overdub with separate natural background sounds or narrative or music dropped in to the time zone.

With wide angle lenses I never use IS, and prefer just a steady hand for when I'm not moving around too much, or a tripod when I'm completely static.
When I need to move around a lot more than a static tripod, then I'll mount the camera on my Samcine shoulder & waist brace support - which also helps with smooth slow pans or when I want to move positions during an interview, etc.
For smooth walking/running footage, nothing beats a steadicam (I like to use the Hague HCS-Pro with the 5D Mark II, which works great for very smooth 'fly-through' footage, even on hilly outdoor terrain).
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #22
Major Player

IS lenses

Anyone have any luck with the 18-135 IS lens for video? Certainly an inexpensive lens compared to the L series for sure but just how good/bad is it? Is it tolerable?
Use will be only for outdoor wedding video work.
I have access to L series lenses other times from my other still cameras...just not when I'm shooting a wedding. I would prefer not to have to buy another expensive zoom lens only for weddings.
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD