What do you use to extract still images from MOV files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you use to extract still images from MOV files?

Software and workflow assistance gratefully received!
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

On Mac I use "Grab". Command+Shift+4 then draw selection around the full screen picture on my 24" monitor. It's only 72dpi (screen resolution) but works great.
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Davison View Post
Software and workflow assistance gratefully received!
Are you on a Mac or PC? What NLE are you using? What applications do you have?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Trustee

On a pc running Adobe cs4 or older, you need Cineform. On CS5 you don't need transcoding; just import the mov files.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

Most NLE's (FCP, M100, etc) let you export as a still with options if it is interlaced footage.

We can give more specific instructions with more system info from you.
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Canon 7D instruction book page 157 they suggest using the supplied software, ZoomBrowser, it lets you grab a 2MB still image from 1080p.
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #7
Major Player

If you are using FCP, or FCE, or Quicktime, navigate in the timeline (or clip) to the frame you want. Then choose 'export' 'using quicktime conversion'. Under the 'format' menu, choose 'still image'. Next to the 'format' menu is the 'options' menu, and you can select the file type you want (jpeg, TIFF, photoshop, etc) Choose 'export' and you have a full resolution image of that frame. This works much better with progressive modes of video than interlaced for obvious reasons-

you can then import that image into Photoshop or other still imaging app and tweak it if needed.

cheers
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Trustee

The reason I asked, and the OP never answered, is that this is different on a Mac than a PC, but for those on a Mac who might be interested there is a much easier and faster way to grab stills from clips.

Open Photoshop and create a new image with the HD resolution you want, open the clip you would like to grab a still from in QuickTime, simply pause the QT playback on the frame you want then holding down the shift button drag and drop the clip onto the Photoshop canvas. Do that for as many stills as you want, when done under the file menu automate the layers to files and it will automatically save all the layers to individual files.

Obviously you can do anything you normally do in Photoshop before you automate layers to files. This is very fast and effective with a minimum of key strokes.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #9
Inner Circle

For a cross-platform solution play the video in VLC, pause at the frame you want to capture & then use the appropriate hotkey combination for the Snapshot function.

Windows / Linux / Unix: Ctrl+Alt+S
Mac OS X: Command+Opt+S

VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

(Posted in wrong thread, please skip on through!)

I've only just learned about the IR issue with the EX3. In a shoot I did last weekend I noticed excessive red, particularly in the clouds (see image). I was using built-in ND as well as a linear polarizer in a Cavision matte box.

Am I correct in assuming that this IS INDEED the EX's IR issue? I'm just about to order the Tiffen T1 77 mm which (from what I've been reading) is as close to the fix as I'll get. Right call?

Anthony

Last edited by Anthony Nalli; June 23rd, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Anthony Nalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Asked in the wrong thread!

There is (at least one) in-depth thread devoted to this very subject of IR contamination on the EX3 and this type of filter. A few minutes learning how to use the simple search tools on this forum will open up a mine of superb information for you. Let us know if you need any help in how to do this.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Nalli View Post
I've only just learned about the IR issue with the EX3. In a shoot I did last weekend I noticed excessive red, particularly in the clouds (see image). I was using built-in ND as well as a linear polarizer in a Cavision matte box.

Am I correct in assuming that this IS INDEED the EX's IR issue? I'm just about to order the Tiffen T1 77 mm which (from what I've been reading) is as close to the fix as I'll get. Right call?

Anthony
IR issues are usually propogated indoors and under tungsten lighting. And even at that only on some colors of fabrics or similar. This looks more like a failure to get a correct white balance to me.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Sorry, this IS the wrong thread. I'll repost.
Anthony Nalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Regular Crew

DVKitchen is Wonderful

I bought dvKitchen from dvcreators_net/DV-Kitchen. It runs about $80 and works with audio, video, uploads automatically to websites, captures stills from video and more. I use it all the time, no complaints.
Phil Hanna
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Major Player

Bundled software works fine too (digital photo professional)
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD