Nikon lenses on a 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 25th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon lenses on a 7D

I bought a Canon EOS 7D a couple of days ago with an 18-135 mm zoom lens that came with the package. Being used to the extremely narrow depth of field that comes with the combination of original Letus35 adapter and Nikon primes, I'm now considering using my old Nikon primes with the 7D. I'll need some step-up ring though, I guess.

Anyone knows the simplest way to get these step-up rings?
Nikolaj Marquez von Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You don't need step-up rings, just an adapter.
Look on Ebay for Nikon to Canon EF adapters.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Fotodiox Pro is well regarded. I think that it's worth getting one. You could also get one adapter per lens. You might consider a bunch of cheap ones if you will outfit many lenses. But having one reference adapter is nice. If you ever find that the focusing is a bit off or the fit is a bit loose on a cheap adapter, you won't be stuck.
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I bought one of the Kawamall Nikon to EOS adapters recently, and I was VERY pleased with the fit. We have a short coming up next month, and I wanted to mount my Nikon glass onto the 5D we will be using in production. No complaints and it was $15. It was an EBay seller/business going by Kawamall. I do wish the edges were given a bit of attention, but a little sandpaper should sort that right out.
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the great advice from everyone.
Nikolaj Marquez von Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I bought 5 of the Kawa adapters last year, for various lenses I have, and I have had no problem..
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Contributor

I have several of the Kawamall adapters too for my ancient pre-AI Nikkors, which are better than any of my newer L or Zeiss lenses, No problems at all. Only thing, on my f2 35mm, the meter says I need another stop when I really don't. No problem since it's consistent.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Bill: I mounted that same lens on a shoot on T2i two days past, and was very happy with the footage...
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Contributor

It's my favorite lens. Sharper than any others I have.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It was a favorite when I was shooting 35mm adapters. Makes a great normal for the APC size sensor. The 1.4 Nikon 50 makes a great portrait size for that camera too, though I think I like my 50mm 1.4 Pentax K mount better in terms of performance.
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Trustee

Regarding the adapters.

I have read somewhere that Canon mounts differ, and that adapters that work well on FD bodies can actually harm EOS cams.

Is it true? Or is that just some Nostradamus talk?
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon lenses on a 7D-nostradamus1.jpg  
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Regarding the adapters.

I have read somewhere that Canon mounts differ, and that adapters that work well on FD bodies can actually harm EOS cams.

Is it true? Or is that just some Nostradamus talk?
You cannot mount an FD lens onto an EOS body, and thus you cannot mount an FD adapter onto an EOS body. Use the correct adapter and you should be fine.

The Reason Nikon lenses tend to be so popular is that they have been essentially unchanged (physical size) in 50 years. They have had electronics and other things added, but a 50 year old Nikon lens, will still fit many Nikon bodies. And any Nikon produced after the early 70s will fit practically any current Nikon body. I have a 1974 300mm Nikkor lens that I mounted on my T2i today and it worked beautifully.
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #13
Trustee

I can't seem to dig out the original web link. But the author said that some adapters that are mechanically fitting, can actually damage EOS electrical contacts.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #14
Regular Crew

This one.

Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter

It'll change your life!

I
Ian Withnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Withnall View Post
This one.

Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter

It'll change your life!

I
Well, that seems interesting. However for numerous reasons, I prefer manual glass still. As far as optics being better in the "G" lenses, well that's certainly a matter up for debate. What I can tell you is that I would MUCH MUCH rather attach at follow focus rig to an older and high quality manual lens than any of the modern ones.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD