Hoodman HoodCrane Got mine today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hoodman HoodCrane Got mine today

I just put the Hoodman HoodCrane on my 7D and I am pleased to report that it works as advertised. Easy to connect and adjust. Blocks out almost all the lite around the LCD and most importantly, the picture is crystal clear. I was afraid that the lens would show the LCD so closely that it would just look like a blowup of the LCD. That is not the case. It made focusing a breeze and the few shots I took were spot-on.

Phil Hanna
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Well, there are several versions of this device, allowing you to mount the Hoodloupe on your cam.

I thought, why waste the flash shoe mount. When you put the Hoodloupe on, you can't use the viewfinder anyway, right? Then why not mount the Hoodloupe on the viewfinder cover.

See pic attached. Total cost $140. The part that slides over the viewfinder is $14 delivered from China, and it actually has TWO similar parts, both of which can be used to attach Hoodloupe. Works great so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoodman HoodCrane Got mine today-hoodloupe-finder.jpg  
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Link for the part from China?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Trustee

Here, Leo:

LCD Screen Hood Pop-up Shade Cover O3Q for Canon EOS 7D - eBay (item 320544670361 end time Aug-05-10 19:02:43 PDT)

The eyepiece part is basically what you need, you attach Hoodloupe to it and voila - it slides on and off, instead of 7D's stock eyepiece.
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Phil,
Thanks for posting and your helpful information. I've just received one and it looks great so far.

What are you shooting?

Regards,
Doug.
www.BaileyNatureGallery.com
[

Last edited by Doug Bailey; July 16th, 2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Contributor

I got the Hoodcrane when I moved to the 5D recently. The IDCphotogrpahy/Hoodman I had bought for the 7D wouldn't fit on the 5D, so I sold it with the camera. The new Hoodcrane will adjust to fit about any camera. I really like the flipup capability.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I like the Hoodcrane too, but it is difficult to move the spring switch to flip up with one hand. It seems you need to put camera down on something and use two hands.

Have you found a better way?
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Shooting on 7D

I have the Hoodman on my 7D. Very happy with it. The only downside is that is shifts a bit and really could use a method to keep it square on the LCD. Other than that surprisingly clear and accurate.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Contributor

It's a little tricky to get properly aligned, but when you do and everything is tightened down, it shouldn't shift.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

H-Finder

Here is my H-Finder made from my Hoodman Hoodloupe 3.0 + HoodEye 3.0 + eBay LCD cover and glue.

Total cost $130.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1282154686
Attached Thumbnails
Hoodman HoodCrane Got mine today-web.jpg  
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Trustee

Alan, did you find a better alternative to the stock lens in Houdloupe?

I wear +1.5 glasses, and when I adjust the Houdloupe lens for my eye (without glasses), I get the blurred perimeter effect as others complain about.

(Looks like people who say there is no such aberration, are the ones who do not make such adjustment - in which case, in fact, there is no blur on the edges of the screen.)
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #12
Regular Crew

H-Finder

Alex, I also wear glasses and I am using the stock glass in the HoodLoupe. I don't have any problems. The edges are a little soft but that was true for the Z-Finder.
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Trustee

Do you wear glasses while using Houd?

Also... when I press my eye against the HoudEye's rubber cup real tight (which is intended use to prevent light leaks), the lens get condensation very fast.

I know it is summer and all, but I can't recall such thing with my Sony cam. (Admittedly, it's been years since I used an eyepiece on video camera... so maybe I don't recall it right... but am pretty sure there were no issues.)

Is that a design flaw in HoodEye?
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes, I do wear glasses all the time. We are not humid here so I don't about condensation. I have not had any. Works Great! alan
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Trustee

Oh. I could not do that - glasses prevent me from pressing my eye against the cup to seal off the light...

Maybe contact lenses would help, but I don't have any.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD