Question about variable neutral density filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Question about variable neutral density filter

The Genus GL GNDF-77 ND 77 mm Fader Circular Filter is in back order with B&H. I bought one on amazon but just found out that it will be shipped in Aug-Sept when available.I've tried a few other online stores but haven't been able to find one in stock. Can someone recommend something else in the same price range and a store that has it in stock? ($140) This is for my 7D. Thanks!
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I found this in stock online.
Fader ND Mark II - 77mm
Loving the Fader ND and Singh Ray Vari ND. Life savers in New Delhi! | Philip Bloom
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #3
New Boot

LCW Fader-ND perhaps?

Howdy,

I just received my 77mm vari-fader (called the "Fader-ND", and made by LightCraftWorkshop - aka LCW).
I purchased it off of ebay from the official LCW store, confirmed via email with them before using the "Buy it Now" button that they had some in stock (which they did) and had it in my hands about 1 week later.
The cost was $125 US, and shipping (via the post office) was included.

The price-point matches your requirement, and it does a pretty good job of giving you a wide range of ND stops to go at. One gripe (ain't there always one!) - the gradations are not marked as ND .3 / .6 / .9 etc., but rather it's just a series of evenly spaced marks, so if you simply MUST have it be precisely ND .9 or some such thing you'll have to do some controlled testing to determine the exact ND values for your fader.

Hope that helps.
BJ
B.J. Szabicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Ive bought a Fader Mark 2 recently in 77mm filter size, previously ive used the 52mm and 67mm original Mark 1 versions..

This Mark 2 filter is extremely green! I havent done any side by side tests with the old ones yet but im pretty sure it never had such a strong and ugly colour cast, its still beter than nothing but everything needs pretty intense colour correction to get it back to a somewhat normal colour.

Heres someone who has done more scientific tests ND filters | David Harry Stewart Blog the post was from january so probably was the original Fader ND.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Fader-ND mini-review

If you're interested in seeing the green colour jump, I've posted some pics in my "review":
Review: Fader-ND from LightCraftWorkshop.

If you know your way around your post-production suite (I don't yet - AECS4 & Premier Pro CS4) you can compensate for the shift. If anyone is seeing bigger problems than the colour shift I'd dearly love to be schooled (bearing in mind the softness in my shots probably originates from my shakey hand-holding).

Hope this contributes in some fashion to the discussion.

Best.
BJ
B.J. Szabicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Actually i did some very rough comparisons with the old Fader ND and there is also the cast.. I think it was because the last shoot i had was in bright midday sun so with the Fader set high the cast was more noticable.

Looking at it again it looks maybe more yellowish than green!
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Major Player

ok thanks. I canceled my order for the Genus GL GNDF-77 ND 77 and I'm still waiting for the fader mark II it was available on ebay.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Kajito, I own Fader-NDs that fit all my lenses, but I only use them when I absolutely have to. Most of the time I use solid ND. You can pick up a set of Tiffen NDs at a very reasonable price from most photo stores.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD