Buying a loaded 7D at eBay? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Buying a loaded 7D at eBay?

Hi there,

I am about the buy a Canon 7D as a second camera for my HMC150.

I know B&H is probably 'the' best online store out there. But I just can't help to be amazed by the the deals you can find on eBay for that camera.
I use eBay since 2001, and never have a problem (maybe I am lucky), but I see there's one seller (among others) offering this deal of a 7D plus 7 lenses and 24gb of Compact Flash and a tripod and bag, etc for about 22 hundred bucks.

It is too good to be true, but the guy has sold 2 already and have 100% positive feedback.

I know buying from B&H must be 'safer' but I was wondering if any of you have bought from any of these eBay sellers. Could you please share your experience? You don't have to mention who you bought from. Just only if you got one of those nice deal, and if you had a positive experience.

Because, for all they offer is hard to beat that price. It is a big temptation to me to go and buy one of those deals, but believe me; 22 hundred bucks for me is a very large investment. Easy answer: be safer and buy from B&H. Yes, I know.

But what about getting one of those eBay deals from an apparently reliable seller?
Did you guys have any similar experience?

Thanks SO much for you input!!

Kind Regards!!

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Remember if you get one of those deals with 7 lenses you are going to be getting lots of kit type lenses that are budget based. While ok to get started you will quickly find yourself wanting better quality lenses that work better in low light. I saw a few of those on ebay and some of those 7 lenses aren't actually lenses but instead 2X multipliers that double the zoom and WA lenses that never work well and vignette really bad. The tripod will be a basic consumer version with plastic friction head so you will want to upgrade that right away too.

If you are an hobbyist that has never used a DSLR you will be ok with a kit for a little while but as you learn more and get better you will start swearing at the lenses and wishing you had more. It's not a terrible deal but I would be you quickly end up with lenses on the shelf you never use and still have to go out and buy better ones.

You would be better off getting a body only and getting the Tamron 17-55 with stabilization. It runs about $600. That will set you back a little more than that kit but you will have a lens you like using and a good start on good glass.

That's my opinion.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you want a reliable seller and a deal, amazon is probably the best place, IMO. I got the Canon T2i, which is a smaller 7D with all its features, and two IS lenses (the kit and 55-250) all for $730 last week. Ebay bundles are to be avoided, as most of lenses are junks. It would be a shame to put bad lenses on a good cam like a 7D.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Contributor

That's just too cheap to be good. I wonder if everything comes with the camera--battery, charger, cables, etc.
I think you'd be better off at B&H where you can get a brand new one for $1700 now. Buy the kit deal with the 28-135 (if they still have that) and you'd be money ahead and have a lens that while is not great is acceptable for many things. And, you'd have a new camera with everything that comes with it, full warranty, and the ability to send it back if you don't like it.

Actually, here's the kit deal with the 18-135 for $1900. The 28-135 package is a hundred bucks less.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680674-REG/Canon_3814B016_EOS_7D_Digital_SLR.html
Put the money you save toward a Zoom H4N. Even with the kit lens, once you shoot with the 7D, your HMC 150 will be the second camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Buyer Beware!

If they had 2000/80% feedback I'd be much happier.
With only two 100% feedback ratings, I smell a shill!
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank to you all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle View Post
Remember if you get one of those deals with 7 lenses you are going to be getting lots of kit type lenses that are budget based. While ok to get started you will quickly find yourself wanting better quality lenses that work better in low light. I saw a few of those on ebay and some of those 7 lenses aren't actually lenses but instead 2X multipliers that double the zoom and WA lenses that never work well and vignette really bad. The tripod will be a basic consumer version with plastic friction head so you will want to upgrade that right away too.

If you are an hobbyist that has never used a DSLR you will be ok with a kit for a little while but as you learn more and get better you will start swearing at the lenses and wishing you had more. It's not a terrible deal but I would be you quickly end up with lenses on the shelf you never use and still have to go out and buy better ones.

You would be better off getting a body only and getting the Tamron 17-55 with stabilization. It runs about $600. That will set you back a little more than that kit but you will have a lens you like using and a good start on good glass.

That's my opinion.
Hi Philip,

Well, thank you for your advice. I am actually going to take it. If it is not worth it, it is like throwing away money at the end overall. All I needed to know from an expert like you. At least you are an expert compared with me for sure.

Thanks very much for your time ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ying View Post
If you want a reliable seller and a deal, amazon is probably the best place, IMO. I got the Canon T2i, which is a smaller 7D with all its features, and two IS lenses (the kit and 55-250) all for $730 last week. Ebay bundles are to be avoided, as most of lenses are junks. It would be a shame to put bad lenses on a good cam like a 7D.
Lee,

Indeed, I think you all think kind of the same way. So, I will get a kit from B&H then.
Thanks for the Amazon tip. I will take a look on the Canon T2i and if it produces the same or very similar video results as the 7D, I might give it a shot.

Thanks much,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
That's just too cheap to be good. I wonder if everything comes with the camera--battery, charger, cables, etc.
I think you'd be better off at B&H where you can get a brand new one for $1700 now. Buy the kit deal with the 28-135 (if they still have that) and you'd be money ahead and have a lens that while is not great is acceptable for many things. And, you'd have a new camera with everything that comes with it, full warranty, and the ability to send it back if you don't like it.

Actually, here's the kit deal with the 18-135 for $1900. The 28-135 package is a hundred bucks less.
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-135mm 3814B016 -

Put the money you save toward a Zoom H4N. Even with the kit lens, once you shoot with the 7D, your HMC 150 will be the second camera.
Hey Bill,

Hehehe, yes it seems that the 7D is a wonderful machine. That is why I want one. Originally to do my wide shots for my HMC150, but I might end up using the 7D as my first camera and use the HMC150 for wide shots and holder for the wireless receivers and record the sound with it. I will read more about that Zoom H4N you are recommending.

Thanks very much for your input :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rogers View Post
If they had 2000/80% feedback I'd be much happier.
With only two 100% feedback ratings, I smell a shill!
Rusty,

Yes, I am going to get a kit from B&H overall.
Thanks for you view ;)
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-135mm 3814B016 -

My son has a 40D with the 28-135 kit lens. It now has 1/4" towards 1/2" wobble and play when extended. He took it back to the Austin shop he purchased from and the new ones they had in boxes were almost as "loose".

A better idea in my book would be the body plus the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS "kit" lens. This lens is much maligned but little deserves the crappy opinions it gets. While not in the L series class, it is reasonably sharp and provides a very useful "workhorse" wide angle (28mm ff equiv) to portrait telephoto capability. I've had 3 previous versions, and am on my 4th (on a new T2i) and have not had a bad one yet.

I also have a couple of L lenses I use primarily with my 7D.

That 18-55mm kit lens can be had for $100 or under from folks who don't keep it. These can also be found on ebay and are not the risk more expensive stuff is. ($139.95 new in "white box" at B&H).

For a "starter" or general "run around" lens it fills the bill.

I recently had to order for exhibit a 16x20 print from an image I shot in 2004 with the original Digital Rebel and the original version of this lens (current version is sharper now) and the print is plenty sharp with rich tonal detail.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks,

Bruce, thanks very much for your input!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD