Canon 7D and Sony Vegas 9 Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 7D and Sony Vegas 9 Pro

Hi everyone, anyone here using their Canon 7D and Sony Vegas 9 Pro to edit the dslr footage? Before I made the jump to the 7D I wanted to make sure that my Vegas 9 could handle this footage. Any recommendations? Thanks!!!
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Personally I wouldn't choose a camera on the basis of which editor I already happened to own. What are you going to do if someone says that Sony Vegas 9 doesn't play well with 7D footage?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

And it doesn't. Neither do most NLEs. And even the one that does, perform better if you transcode first. So if you accept that you will be transcoding first, then ANY NLE will work just fine with ANY camera's footage.

If, for professional reasons you can't transcode, the buy Adobe CS5 since it works pretty well with the native footage if your machine meets the Mercury Playback engine specs.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Cineform Neoscene (best $100 bucks you could spend, if quality is paramount)
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Higerd View Post
Cineform Neoscene (best $100 bucks you could spend, if quality is paramount)
Cool Thanks, yea I also just saw this on another thread: Epic I by DVFilm - Edit DSLR H.264 Quicktimes from Canon 5d, Canon 7d, or Canon Rebel in real time with Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 I am definitely going to give this a try. I have also read that Cineform is a great way to go as well. Thanks for the info.

And no, sorry, I am not basing my next camera on my editing software. I currently have Vegas 9 Pro, but I am very familiar with editing on other applications as well. Its just the one I prefer :-)

I have so many options for my next camera, and its driving me nuts atm. Ranging from Sony FX-1000 to AX-2000 to Sony VG10 and now the 7D. My company needs a camera with very great picture quality. Audio is very minor at the moment. So great picture is a must.
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Kristian, I use Pro9 as well. 7D files play SMOOTH on my computer (Intel Core i7 920 2.67Ghz 12G Ram) but I still transcode them with streamclip (free) because we often do some editing on-the-go.

When you transcode those files unfortunately disk space increases quite a bit...That's why I keep the 7D ONLY for "creative & beauty" shots. The rest, it's all EX1.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Awesome, thats basically my camera situation as well. Thanks for the help!!!
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD