Anyone shooting live events? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone shooting live events?

Just wondering if anyone has shot any long-form, constant rolling events with this camera? I know it has the 4GB limit, but what if you are recording to an external source (ie in a situation where you don't have to hit the camera's "record" button)? Will it still have overheating issues?

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Would be nice if it was practical to record to an external source, but I keeping with some other glaring and rather avoidable shortcomings of the camera, it is not.

Unfortunately and inexplicably, Canon have decided that they are not going to let you turn off the white square used for zoom focusing. If you can tolerate a cropped image, you can move it to the bottom and lose the height of the square from your frame size.

Sucks doesn't it?
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Wait, so I can record to an external source, but the white square will be recorded to every frame? That really stinks. I'm shocked that a 3rd party hasn't relieved us of that!

Any idea about the overheating?
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Overheating is a problem for shooing long event especially shooting 60fps, you have to shoot with two cameras side-by-side and alternate when overheating because once it overheat you have to let it cool off for few minutes.

So if you have a 2-cameras shoot for an event you have to use 4-cameras to cover yourself , I am not sure if that's practical or not ?
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Drawback for sure

In deed its not an event camera. I did use my T2i as a 2nd hand held on a couple of projects but it was hard to match up in post. The fact is, as a video camera its more for documentary or small feature film work. I still might use mine as a handhold B-roll camera, once I find a suitable (affordable) standard video camera that wont crap out in low light.
Clayton Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah at the end of the day it's a still camera. I can't complain at all. The reason I asked was because of a live event I booked, in which they requested HDMI. I was hoping to run some tests today, but I wasn't aware that it was a mini HDMI port...and all of our supporting gear is standard HDMI. Of course I didn't have an adapter. Would've been interesting to see how it held up. Something I wasn't thinking about, we have a four camera set-up, so technically I won't have to have the T2i running the entire time...hmmm. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore
I still might use mine as a handhold B-roll camera...
I used it for B-roll on a previous project with my XH-A1 and in about 20 minutes I got a pretty close match. For the cost I can't help but be pleased with the results.

Thanks for the responses guys.

JS
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

John

Even with the right connector there are issues with Live HDMI out of the DSLR, when you get the right HDMI cable you will see what I mean. You can play back perfect 1080, but in record mode it pushes 480.

Known issue.

CM
Clayton Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I did use mine as a 'C' camera the other week. Was able to get some nice cutaways of the crowd in a dark room with it but that was pretty much it. We decided before the event it would have been way too much effort to sync all the footage in post, not to mention the over heating.

Luckily using it just for a few crowd shots throughout the night meant it didnt over heat.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM   #9
Major Player

It's really not very difficult to sync up in post - at least for me, the reward of incredibly cinematic images justifies the effort. One good thing about the 4GB limit is audio drift is pretty much a moot point, LOL. So not having your cams genlocked to the same clock as your audio rig (wordclock) is not a big deal because you're going to hand sync all the clips anyway.

At about an hour of continuous shooting, I've run into temp problems. These cams are so cheap for what they give you that I think I'm just going to have a whole stash available for event filming to bypass the overheating issue.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Moore View Post
Even with the right connector there are issues with Live HDMI out of the DSLR, when you get the right HDMI cable you will see what I mean. You can play back perfect 1080, but in record mode it pushes 480.

Known issue.

CM
This is not the case with the Canon 7D. Does the T2i have this issue or only the 5D?
Bob Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD