BEST MICROPHONE for 7D (Rode vs. Rode) ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM   #1
New Boot

BEST MICROPHONE for 7D (Rode vs. Rode) ??

Since I cannot afford, at this time, to buy a separate recording system, and need to record sound into the Canon 7D "directly", which of these two microphones would you suggest is the best for recording WILDLIFE sounds, and maybe an occasional interview, in the field?

1 - Rode NTG-2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone

2 - Rode Stereo VideoMic - Camera Mounted Microphone

They are both about the same price, and all I can afford right now.

And, how would I hook the NTG-2 into the camera anyway? Do I need some kind of adapter?

Thanks for any and all help.
George D. Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Major Player

There are others out there beside Rode - which I found too large.

I have the Rode but I just got this smaller alternative - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444022-REG/Azden_SMX_10.html
I havent had chance to compare them yet but reviews are encouraging and the price is super-low for you. Normally I use a Zoom recorder and XLR mics anyway with my 7D set up.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:23 PM   #3
New Boot

This is what kit I purchased when I got the NTG-2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/481528-REG/Rode_NTG_2_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html
Bob Sintas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Jon and Bob.

After checking into in further and the ones you two have suggested, I've decided to get the Audio-Technica AT897. It's more directional and I believe it will give me more of what I want with wildlife in the field.

Thanks again.
George D. Dodge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD