Movie from Canon T2i not smooth on computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Tourist

Movie from Canon T2i not smooth on computer

I just bought the Canon T2i and I am very happy with it in photo mod. However, when I shoot videos at 1280 and 60 fps and I try to see the movie on my computer they do not move smoothly, but rather you can almost see it going through the frames like a 1920 movie. The computer is almost new and quite powerful, so I do not think it is its fault and I can see movies shot with a lowly Canon SD1200 (point and shoot) very nicely and very smoothly. Am I doing something wrong? And by the way I have tried to see the movies through the PICASA program as well as with the Canon provided browser program. The Canon program is perhaps slightly better, but it still gives the same "framy" effect. Anybody can help?
Mauro C. Dal Canto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If it plays back smoothly in the camera, then your computer is not fast enough to cope with the very difficult compression of the Canon DSLRs.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
then your computer is not fast enough to cope with the very difficult compression of the Canon DSLRs
Just for playback through a mediaplayer? Then I think something else must be wrong, my 3 year old pc can playback raw 550d files just fine.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Just for playback through a mediaplayer? Then I think something else must be wrong, my 3 year old pc can playback raw 550d files just fine.
Video card plays a major role here. And if you note, he says the problem is resolved by reducing the size of the playback window. That indicates either memory or throughput bottleneck most likely.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a Pentium4 2.6ghz pc (about 7 years old) here as well with 1gb of memory and an ancient nvidia 5600xt card which is able to playback 1920x1080p raw 550d files. ofcourse not fluid, it starts very choppy and then progresses a bit more smoother but still with a slower playback and stuttering.

If that pc can do that I would imagine that a "new and quit powerfull pc" should not have any problems whatsoever? Maybe unplugging the memory modules and trying them one by one to see if there is a faulty one could be a solution? Or trying to use a videocard from an older pc to see if the problem is there?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Major Player

At present my quad core pc will only edit 720p video from my 550D even that is jittery in the timeline ,1920P refuses to even be recognised by the software,raw 1920 video plays in the pc but in my vaio laptop files play but stop and stall after a short while,i am fast wishing i never ventured into DSLR video.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:39 PM   #7
New Boot

Quicktime is a horrible media player. Download VLC (pc or mac) it is free and plays back the 500d footage way more efficiently.
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

For newer pc's I think you are right but on my second 7 year old pc the vlc player gives a lot of big artifacts while quicktime doesn't, both result into stuttering video but quicktime manages to playback a bit smoother.

Quote:
At present my quad core pc will only edit 720p video from my 550D even that is jittery in the timeline
I think there is a difference between native editing and native playback, we were talking about previewing raw 550d footage through a mediaplayer which on my main 3 year old Q6600 pc is no problem, editing in the other hand is hardly possible. For that I convert to canopus HQ codec and then I can handle 550d footage as easily as standard def footage, even several layers in a multicam sequence with colorcorrection I can fly through the editing process. I you have got the right tool highly compressed mpeg4 footage is as easy as pie to handle. :)
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Tourist

Just sharing an experience

I was shopping for a new machine last week. I had T2i footage with three resolutions on a thumb drive plugging away in Best Buy. Windows player (7 home edition) had no problem playing it back. To my surprise some of the lower end machines with no graphic cards had no problem playing the files back but some of the beefier ones with 500Meg-1Gig graphic card and i5-i7 processors did. It looks like how machine resources are used by the software, how the graphic card handles the information as well as how the pieces are put together may make a difference.
Darryoush Mossleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Trustee

it's not the graphics card, but the RAM and Hard Disk speed that causes stutters - from data rates and tough codecs like h.264. At full 1080p, you'll need the very best for smooth playback and edit. The graphics card only determines how to control your monitor/LCD screen.

Try using a second hard disk or USB drive for checking. If it still doesn't work, you'll need a more powerful computer.
Old August 6th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have exactly the same PC. It is a PC issue. I fragmented my hard drive and the playback is better.

But generally speaking get a newer PC. I am getting one.
Joseph Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

A fast PC with large Ram can definately play 1080p .mov file silky smooth. Not only that, the 64bit windows 7 can display large movie icons too. With hundreds of photos and HD movies in the folder it makes recoganizing and picking video clips much easier.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
At present my quad core pc will only edit 720p video from my 550D even that is jittery in the timeline ,1920P refuses to even be recognised by the software,raw 1920 video plays in the pc but in my vaio laptop files play but stop and stall after a short while,i am fast wishing i never ventured into DSLR video.

Upping the software from pinnacle12.1 ultimate to to 14 allows me to edit the footage now.the playback on the time line is not perfect but the rendered film is fine.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post

Hi Martin:

I think that the problem you are having is because you are trying to edit the footage directly on the canon native codec. You should convert to an edit friendly codec (appleprores on mac) and then you will start having fun with editing those files. The reason is the native highly compressed files require tremendous processing power to edit. that is the reason why you canīt even play them properly. If you are a mac user download the free mpegstreamclip process your raw files through it and you will be set.
If you are a pc user get neoscene from cineform www.cineform.com. You can download the trial and test it. I think your problem will be solved.

Good luck
Augusto Alves da Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kassana View Post
I have exactly the same PC. It is a PC issue. I fragmented my hard drive and the playback is better.

But generally speaking get a newer PC. I am getting one.
Please see what I posted to Martin.

Good luck
Augusto Alves da Silva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD