super cheap stabilisation.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Major Player

super cheap stabilisation..

Has anybody tried something like this? Im liking the look of it, seems like you would technically have 5 points of contact with 2 hands, neck, chest and a loupe?

CAMERA BRACE FOR CANON 5D/7D
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Not too good for video. Every time you breathe your camera will go up & down. That is why shoulder mounts are better, less movement w/ each breath.

Still could be better than nothing.

The 5D & 7D use standard tripod screws (1/4" 20) & are about the same size as every other SLR out there.
So an accessory like this that works for another SLR will work with a 7D. So I'm hesitant whenever I see something marketed for one model, when it obviously can work with many. To me I suspicious that it is more like a gimmick than a quality tool.
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Major Player

oh yeah true, i was thinking it could be comparable in results to those gunstock rigs but i guess the ones that push more around the shoulder arent affected with breathing..

this one would need to be dead centre in the chest to keep the camera horizontal, almost tempted to try it out anyway at that price..
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, at that price, give it a whirl.

If it costs less than eating out, I figure it can't be a total waste if it turns out to be garbage.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

it may be interesting to get the "24" look, that kind of limited camera movement , may be it doesn't work but seriously would like to try this.
Alberto Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #6
New Boot

I reckon I would need some filler for the hole in my chest it will carve out ;-)
Phil Yisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Trustee

I'm a more "portly" guy and I use my belly as a camera mount all the time. You have to control your core so you breathing doesn't effect the shot which is a plus, its like Pilates and cinematography all rolled into one...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #8
New Boot

well Chuck, I reckon boosting my calorie intake will work out a lot cheaper than some stabilisation units out there...pass me the Ben & Jerry's please.
Phil Yisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

So if it's cheaper than going out to dinner like Zach said, maybe it's better just to go out to dinner? Another portly guy here. Like this thread.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Trustee

I knew eating all those jelly donuts would come in handy some day...

Now lets do the math, Zucato DSLR Rig = ~14,000 custard filled donuts & 3 kegs of beer.
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Major Player

to take the topic back from dinner for a moment,

anybody used a dvrig with a dslr before? DvRig Junior

Ive found one 2nd hand locally pretty cheap, looks interesting
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Trustee

7D's are just so sensitive to vibration, so what ever support you use has to be fairly solid. The DvRig Jr looks interesting but I'm not sure you could walk with it or move much with it so I'm not sure how much better it would be than a good monopod.

My shoulder mount has a similar spring loaded support with adjustable friction, which helped support the camera on a longer take but I really couldn't do any kind of on camera movement with it. http://www.frameyourart.net/7D2.jpg

If you can get it cheap enough it might be worth a test.
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Here's my $50 solution. It's fast cheap and good. all three. Monopod!

Lens used was non stabilized 28-75mm used at various focal lengths.

The footage for for the sake of my son's football coach, not for any other reason, and I was barely paying attention and still the footage is usable for the most part.

beyond 75mm a monopod would be sketchy for my hands though.

Make your own jacket here.

monopod sample By brian luce On ExposureRoom
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #14
Major Player

yep, personally ive tried a couple of shoulder mounts (without heavy counter weights hanging off the back) and for all that extra bulk and cost i found the results not all that different to having a good technique of holding the camera in front by hand with the neck strap pulled tight, so thats why i was looking for alternatives..

Couldnt find much on the dvrig/dslr combination yet though, heres one thread DVRig Junior -- Anyone have sample clips? - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I had the same philosophy on this - not too expensive, why not give it a try (this way a while ago for my dvx) and found it completely useless. Uncomfortable, unuseable for walking shots, annoying to go from this to a tripod. YMMV

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD