Lens extender - question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Lens extender - question

Hi all,

There are rare occasions when need a long lens for my t2i, something in the 200mm range. I am mainly using primes, & I don’t really want to tote around a 200mm prime that I will rarely use since I travel frequently.

I am wondering if there is a 1.4x or 2x lens extender I can use for my vintage Nikon 135mm f/2 lens.

Is there an extender that will work on this lens on a Canon t2i body? If so, how will it affect the speed of the lens?

I realize it’s not a perfect solution, but is it an option with a vintage, non-Canon lens?

Thanks,
Brett
Brett Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Major Player

There are plenty of extenders out there. If you can afford the canon ones, great. Otherwise, you may have to settle for something like a Kenko Pro or such like.

You will lose 1 stop of light with a 1.4x extender and 2 stops for a 2x extender. You will likely lose some sharpness and introduce some chromatic aberration.

I would be cautious. In terms of actual resolution of images via extenders, it's often a better bet to simply zoom digitally in post. You'll have to experiment with whatever tools you can get your hands on. Try cropping the video in your NLE from shooting without the extender, and compare this to footage with the extender on. You might be surprised.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi James,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The specs on the Canon extenders include a list of Canon lenses that the extenders will work with. In reality, will the extender work with any long lens with a Canon mount?

Also, when a f/2 lens loses 1-stop, does it go to f/2.8 or f/3.0?
Brett Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Generally, EF compatible extenders work with EF lenses, but there can be complications.

Also, EF-S lenses may not work with EF extenders.

f/2 -> f/2.8 is one stop (half the light)
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Brett,

The Canon extenders are a wise buy and very useful if you need the occasional reach like me. However, I'd strongly recommend the 1.4X over the 2X. I found the 2X gave very much worse image compromises (more light loss as mentioned, but much worse CA and image softening), especially noticeable when used with the fastest and sharpest Canon zooms (70-200mm IS F2.8 and 70-200 IS F4) with my 7D whereas the 1.4X was much better/at times hardly noticeable/very acceptable. To me (and bear in mind I need razor sharp stills as well as video capability) the Canon 1.4X is the one to have, the 2X being a stretch too far (in every way, not just reach!)

Also, bear in mind you won't want to/can't use an extender on anything less than about 50mm focal length.

There are some great reviews of both the Canon extenders out there on first rate photographic sites - well worth a Google - and if you have the correct adapter ring for Nikon lenses they should work in the EXACT same way as when those lenses are mounted (via that adapter) directly onto the T2i, i.e. the lens and the camera "won't know" that there is an extender between them (except for light loss, change in effective focal length and some image quality loss of course!). Hope this makes sense/is useful.
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Andy & James!
Brett Culp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD