Max ISO in Low Light You Would Use in T2i - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Taky, the latest version has a II or a Mark II in the description.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Joe.. thanks for your msg. it's comforting actually. I really think IS is needed for telephoto lens.

Found some on ebay selling it brand new at $1800. Not sure should I get from them or get from BH/Amazon. your thought?

I've only bought new lenses when I couldn't find used ones. For me the only new ones I own are the Tokina 11-16/2.8 and the Rokinon 85/1.4. (Its not even easy to find the Tokina new.) All my other lenses have come from Adorama's reconditioned/used selection, eBay or KEH.com. If I needed another 70-200/2.8 IS right now I'd feel completely comfortable with this:

Canon EOS 70-200 F2.8 L IMAGE STABILIZATION ULTRASONIC (77) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

"Bargain" at KEH is a very dependable lens with perfect glass.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #18
Inner Circle

just bite the bullet and order it at Amazon with Amex card. It's $2300. yeah, ouch! But it's a business investment as Joel said. I could have used Amazon credit card that gives me 3% cash back.. Purchased with Amex gives me some peace of mind for the additional 1 year warranty and purchase protection if breaks or stolen in 3 months.

Too bad there isn't a 24-70mm with IS...
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Oh is the UV filter all that necessary? The one amazon recommended is $88... little ouch.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #20
Major Player

It depends on the light. ISO 6400 in magenta light has the same noise level as ISO 800 in tungsten light. It also depends on the settings and post processing. A low contrast (AKA high dynamic range) look will show a lot more noise than a high contrast (AKA low dynamic range) style.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Daniel, does that mean, if I use Neutral and increase the contrast, the ISO noise is less noticeable?
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Oh is the UV filter all that necessary? The one amazon recommended is $88... little ouch.
In low light situations with strong light sources in the frame, I would avoid _any_ filters. Otherwise, ghosting would easily be a problem.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
In low light situations with strong light sources in the frame, I would avoid _any_ filters. Otherwise, ghosting would easily be a problem.
VERY dependent on the filter. Cheap filters, absolutely. Something like a Hoya S-HMC, not really.
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Daniel, does that mean, if I use Neutral and increase the contrast, the ISO noise is less noticeable?
Yes, but to me it's not really a practical solution because to me, deciding the look of the shot is a higher priority than avoiding noise. If I want a low contrast look, I'll sooner use detali-smearing noise reduction than crank up the contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
VERY dependent on the filter. Cheap filters, absolutely. Something like a Hoya S-HMC, not really.
I use expensive filters including the Hoya S-HMC, and to me they still cause major flare and ghosting problems in scenes with bright speculars. Personally, I only use protection filters when it's rainy, really dusty, etc.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
I use expensive filters including the Hoya S-HMC, and to me they still cause major flare and ghosting problems in scenes with bright speculars. Personally, I only use protection filters when it's rainy, really dusty, etc.
Wow... with what lens? Been a while since I've done shooting into the sun, but that is going to change this month...
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I bought the Canon UV haze filter for $30.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I don't use any clear/UV filters. They are unnecessary overpriced voodoo junk preying on your fears. The coating on modern lenses are super tough and super scratch resistant.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holb View Post
I don't use any clear/UV filters. They are unnecessary overpriced voodoo junk preying on your fears. The coating on modern lenses are super tough and super scratch resistant.
That's cool.. but only one of my primes is coated at all. I'll stick with protecting them.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #29
Inner Circle

It's an expensive investment. I'd rather protect it with a UV filter. :)
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holb View Post
400 ISO is the max I use with f1.4 lenses. Going to 800 ISO is acceptable for web. I would never go 3200 ISO, as the sharpness is cut in half, plus all the noise.

Forget the 70-200 f2.8 if you're shooting low-light receptions. For my kit, I turn to my 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 when the sun sets. I will not use any other lens f2.8 or higher.
Your DOF is terrible with those lenses opened up. Personally I'd rather have my image in focus over not using high iso. The neatvideo plugin works wonders all the way up to 6400. You either need to add lighting (on camera or off) or make sure your client is aware that a dark venue means dark footage.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD