7d Corrupt Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

7d Corrupt Files

I have 8 corrpt files from my 7d. There was no warning or freezing of the camera. What is interesting is that there are good files before and after the corrupt files. Not sure what could of happened?? Does anyone know if I can fix the files?
Brett Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Trustee

Brett,
Don't have any direct knowledge about this but I would look at the card you recorded on as a potential issue. I had problems with my Nikon recording a lot of stills on some cards with corrupt pictures occuring about 5 percent of the time with an off brand card which specs should have been good enough.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

7d corrupt footage

I am using Sandisk Extreme III 60MB/s 32 GB. I have never experienced this.
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Do the files show up when you look at the files on the card?

Is so, then try using Treasure which is a program that can fix them for about $39 - $70 a file.

Aero Quartet: Video gets Personal on your Mac
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My issue is not that I can not access, its that they are corrupt. Not sure how Data Rescue can help.
Old September 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Hmm how concerning... I have seen this issue being raised in another part of the forum on the same SanDisk card.. see here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...es-beware.html
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I just shot today with a Sandisk 16gb Extreme lll and had all my files come up ZeroKB not good. I can't open them in any application and they will not even playback on the camera. I have no idea on how to get these files back. But this is my 2nd Sandisk card to corrupt on me this year. Both cards are 2 years old so I guess I should be replacing them.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Do the files play back on the camera?
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #10
Tourist

Re: 7d Corrupt Files

To all you angry, stressed out corrupters.

I thought I'd share this with you all

I have been having corrupt files on and off for about 6 months. It was getting stupid, until I did some corporate work a couple of weeks ago and 3 of the files were corrupt with no way of recovering the video files. I am calm now but at the time my 7D was shouted at several times and even called a swear word at one stage!

I bought 2 more Sandisk 32GB (60mb/s) cards as I had read somewhere it may be the cards. I then gave my canon a 2nd chance, I went out to shoot a music video, we spent 3 days on location and some of the shots were looks propper sexy like.. then.. i think you've guessed it, 2 files were corrupt on on card and 1 on the other, we had to cut a lot of the video and I was furious, I'm pretty sure I swore again and said something about my 7D's momma!!!!

I spoke to Jessops (who i bought it off more than a year before) who were completely useless, I then spoke to the canon repair team where I sent my beloved 7D body up to London in a box :( They had it for a week and didnt seem to think it was important to even tell me they had recieved it.... anyway after a week I called them, the guy was in the middle of testing my camera, he said he would take apart and check the connections and ring me back.
He rang back later that day and I was told that they had spoken to Canon headoffice and they were aware of this problem... WOOOO RESULT!!! and that there is a new 7D update coming out on Monday 18th April!!!

So hold in there guys, the futures bright!!

Jon
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Tourist

Good news people:

Firmware for Canon 7D has been released, although Canon have held it back for some reason, but here is the specs and a link to it:

*UPDATE* Firmware 1.2.5 for EOS 7D

Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were rare cases where movie files taken could not be opened when repeatedly shooting movies with specific CF cards.
Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were cases where “Err 02″ appeared when repeatedly shooting still images with specific CF cards.
Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when using high-capacity (32 GB or greater) CF cards: If either a CF card with only a little available space remaining or the battery was removed and then reinserted into the camera, and then the user attempted to start shooting movies immediately, shooting would stop.
Improved the writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when custom function C.Fn 4-1 was set to assign IS start to the AF stop button on the lens: When used with lenses that do not have an AF stop button, the IS function would not work.
Corrected some mistakes in the menu screens displayed in Arabic and Portuguese. (This applies to models in overseas markets. The models for the Japanese market do not display those languages.)

Jon
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Trustee

I was going to open a seperate thread about a card (camera?) problem I had yeaterday, but after reading this thread, I figured I'd post it here.

Yesterday we shot a music video and I used both of my 7d's, each with it's own card. The cards were Sandisk extreme iii's, 16 gig and 30 mbs, and I've used them successfully for over a year. After finishing the shoot, I gave the cards to the director who was going to capture them and get them right back to me.
he called me up and said that one card captured fine and that the other had a problem...wouldn't download and wouldn't eject. He powered down his computer then took out the card. I told him to get me the "bad" card and I would see what I could do.

Once at home I tried to open the card and had no luck. I then pulled up a program I once used called "card recovery". I scanned and saved it twice into two different folders. The program was able to recover most of the clips that we shot. Unfortunately, It wouldn't recover 5 or 6 of the most important clips that we shot.
For the future, I'm going to install the firmaware updates on both cameras, and possibly retire the offending card. But in the meantime I have an important question:
Is there any other service or program that could possibly find the other missing files?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Major Player

here is my experience as much as details that I can give:

I own 2 7Ds, all with SanDisk Extreme either 16 or 32GB, all x60mbs speed.
For last 5 weddings that I shot with those cards, I've had average 10 corrupted files in each weddings, random camera, random cards, funny enough, all different.
I sent the cameras back to Canon Professional Services three times, all came back with different explanation.
First, it was bent card reading pins on the card slot for both cameras, then it was mother board. They said they all fixed, and guess what, it had 3 more incidents with corrupted files.
So basically, I can see it on my camera, but got the message "cannot playback". I do see the thumbnails, and thumbnails only. When I try to read on the computer, it will show the physical MOV file and size, but can't open.
AeroQuartet was able to retrieve all the footage that I needed but cost me $79 (without audio) and $99 with audio PER FILE. That's right. regardless of length of the clip, it will cost you the same.

2 things have changed. I changed my main cards to Lexar only, and use only 16GB SanDisk.
I heard rumors that 32GB cards are usually bad, so. Shot 3 weddings so far with those cards, and guess what? ZERO corrupted files. Then again, don't buy my words. It's just me.

Second thing, Canon now offers new firmware update for 7D that looks like it will fix the video corrupted files, but who knows, right?
Hope that helps.
Thanks.

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #14
Tourist

Trust, JJ, the guy shoots more DSLR volume in critical situations than probably anyone on the planet. Shout to wedding filmmakers everywhere.

I just pulled out 3 corrupted files from my 7D from Saturday. Sandisk 32GB extreme card that has never had an issue. Pulled 2 corrupted files off a 60D the previous weekend, 32GB Secure Digital class 10 card. Never had an issue before with either card.

For the 60D I test shot 60 files on the same card after I found the issue. Some shots went 18+min in length, most were 1-2min shots. Couldn't recreate the issue after the fact.

I've had corrupted files now on the 60D and 7D, 16GB and 32GB cards, different card mfg. In all my research there is no conclusive answer, except perhaps when your camera dies mid-shot (that seems to cause a few unreadable files).

Aeroquartet works and has saved some crucial shots worth way more than the $80-$100 fee. Works great when needed.

What would work better is a real fix from Canon! Will try the new 7D firmware, thanks for the tip JJ.
Jamison Luther is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD