7D in car? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Major Player

7D in car?

Hello,

I have a shoot coming up and for one of the shots i'd like to shoot from inside an old VW Beetle. It doesnt need to drive very fast and the roads will be pretty good condition (in the city).

I was thinking of renting this: Fat Gecko Camera Mount - Extreme Suction Cup Mount - Delkin Devices

I'm hoping rolling shutter wont be a big issue. Are there any tips for in car shooting? Is the 7D the wrong camera/? I read that its better not to switch IS on. I'm a bit scared to put the camera on the side of the car but maybe I will try, and I'd also like to shoot through the front windshield.

Thanks.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Major Player

This is what you need - GoPro HD camera. It shoots 1080p and the quality will amaze you. I got mine last week and also the suction cup mount for cars.
It is not worth the risk for your 7D rig. I paid $226 at Amazon for my GoPro.The suction mount is really strong. This will work on the outside of your car and inside. Lucas films (star wars) just used this inside a fighter plane cockpit.

Trust me you will really like this.

HD Motorsports HERO Camera by GoPro - Wireless 1080p HD On board & In Car Video Camera System

Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Major Player

I second the GoPro idea IF you're shooting during the day under good lighting.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Major Player

I looked at the GoPro some months ago, it's fine for certain applications, but it is limited - it has a fixed lens and auto everything. I still might buy one for when I need a crash cam though.

On the 7D I use a double suction mount system that works perfectly. Just follow the instruction and you're be fine.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Trustee

go with gecko, solid reliable piece for the cameras like 7D, just keep the arm as close to the suction cup as possible, to eliminate shakiness, I also used straps, just for the piece of mind, but I never needed them.
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

Don't forget about lights inside car. If you are trying to show people inside the car as well as the outside.

There are some really good solutions, I often use a Gyoury fluorescent clipped to the visor. A LED light would work well also.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Major Player

A big factor is the length of the shot.

I used the GoPro but just for 6-second bursts along an intercoastal highway - it looked great and is good enough to edit with a 7D in burst mode.

I bought my GoPro for placing outside a train in India for a shoot I am doing soon.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Trustee

I think with the 7D I'd trust these mounts (the ones with 3 or 4 suction cups), not saying the fat gecko won't work but if it was my 7D with a decent lens hanging outside a car....

CAMERA MOUNTS

Just seems more robust and less prone to vibration.

I do have a lot of experience with cameras on motorcycles and the biggest things I've learned were no IS..and as solid a mount as possible...on the bikes, I bolt my mounts right to the frame or fuel tank.
What this does is make the camera part of the bike and therefore the suspension of the bike becomes the IS.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
make the camera part of the bike and therefore the suspension of the bike becomes the IS.
that's impossible:) but I got your point and agree;
it's just when you mount your camera on any moving subject as solid as you can, camera becomes a part of it, and that's the only way to make your footage look good, because relatively to the camera that object remains still, the whole world around it is moving, but that's exactly what we need :)
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

There is one other problem I would like to point out. Your proposed vehicle has a sort wheelbase. The longer the wheelbase the smoother the ride. Also consider letting some air out of your tires.
Jay Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Major Player

thanks for the answers and tips guys but...

did the shoot today, i bought the fat gecko double suction mount..

was shooting at around 24mm, there was quite a bit of bumpiness which i expected and dont mind too much, probably the 7d is heavier than you should use with the fat gecko.. however the rolling shutter makes the footage pretty much unusable, it really looks awful.. I would say absolutely that the 7d and DSLRS are the wrong choice for these kind of car mounts, certainly the fat gecko
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD