mixing 7D and T1i footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mixing 7D and T1i footage?

Sorry if this has been asked before,

Has anyone used both the 7D and the Rebel t1i to shoot a video? Are there any noticeable quality/encoding problems/losses?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Major Player

If you shoot the same resolution and frame rate with the same exposure, WB, ISO etc, it shoot look pretty much identical.
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Contributor

From what I've read, the T2i doesn't have the range of image setup the 7D does, so if you are using a setup that you've tweaked to your liking, you might have to go to one of the standard setups.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Your question was about using T1i footage with 7D footage. Is this correct, or do you mean the T2i? If you are indeed asking about the T1i, the one problem has to do with frame rate. The T1i shoots at 20fps at full HD resolution - as opposed to 24fps or 25fps (or 60fps at 720p) for the 7D. This is the only major issue I can foresee.
Jeremy Pevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

yes the T1i, I have the T1i and the 7D, and was thinking of using the T1i for coverage.
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Contributor

Oops, mea culpa. I don't recall anyone mentioning the T1i in relation to video before and my brain registered T2i.

I doubt it will intercut very well. It shoots 30 fps at, I think--correct me if this is wrong--720p. And it does 1080p at some strange frame rate that makes it unusable...15 fps? Maybe 20 fps, something like that.

The 7D only goes down to 720p when doing 60 fps, which people pretty much only use for slomo.

So, I don't really see how you could cut the two cameras together very well in any practical way.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ah bummer, I guess I'll have to make use of either one or the other. Unless I somehow buy another 7D
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Trustee

Do what I did.

Sell the T1i and replace it with a T2i, I mix footage from that with the 7D.

Actually, depending on your final distribution product you can use both the T1i at 720 30p and the 7D at 1920 30p and most should not be able to notice anything jarring. I did this with the T1i and HF100, the result can be seen at
with the greatest visual difference being the T1i footage was shot with an old Nikkor lens wide open.

The T1i footage exhibits a bit of flare and some chromatic abberation due to the f1.8 aperture of the Nikkor. The HF100 footage was 1920x1080.

The companion piece at
is again T1i footage intercut with HF100 footage with the difference being the use of a Canon 50mm f1.8 on the T1i instead of the Nikkor.

Set your picture styles on both the 7D and the T1i the same and test to see if you get the same image tonality. I use a user defined Picture Style based on NEUTRAL with sharpness cut way back and saturation pulled back one notch or two.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip, I was confused as to wether the T1I had any similar fps options with the 7D
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD