remote control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Major Player

remote control

Will the Canon wired remote control start and stop video recording? What is the Canon number for the remote control?
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you just want to start and stop the video and photo, a cheap wireless remote will do great.
The one on amazon.com, Opteka RC-4 sells for $13, and its knock off on ebay sells for $3.3 shipped.
I have the one from amazon. Very simple operations: the "s" button shoots the photo and "2s" button shoots the video, the only requirement is that you aim at the remote sensor which is located at the front beneath the dial wheel.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Lee

Sounds Great! Will it work out doors o.k. in sunlite?
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Its raining pretty hard now, so I cannot test it. I presume most infrared should work outdoors. I don't see any complaints on amazon about its not working under the sunlight.
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the same remote control. I can only use it with my T2i in photo mode. S for picture and 2S for 2 seconds then shutter. When I'm in movie mode, the remote doesn't work. What camera you are using?
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I am using Opteka RC-4 bought in amazon on T2i/550D. It works both in photo and video. The remote has two sections if you look at the face photo, only the top section with "s" and "2s" buttons works for T2i; the lower section with "T" and "W" works with camcorders with tele/wide zoom.
Which remote do you have Taky?
I bought mine after reading amazon reviews that said it worked with T2i's video, and sure enough mine works as expected. I am sure even the $3.3 ebay one should work too.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I just tried mine.. the 2S button won't activate starting video. Do you need to setup anything in the camera for that to work? Just like in photo mode, you need to activate the timer with remote in order to use the S and 2S button.

if yours work, you can actually try using a TOSlink (optical cable) to route the signal from the remote stick to the tripod bar, to the front of the camera. I have been using that with my HV30 using the remote control as a LANC controller.

Cheap solution to missing LANC | L.A. Color Blog

It won't zoom in and out with this RC4 remote. But it will at least save time by starting and stopping video shooting.
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Taky, I recall I had to activate some remote control settings in T2i for RC4 to work, I don't remember which one though, its been a while. I am sure its just a matter of finding where the setting is.
Good tip on the toslink cable, I will give it a try.
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The Canon RC-1 controller will activate either shutter for still, or start rolling film, depending where you have selector on the controller set. On the T2i, you do have to enable controler. This controller works with both my Canon 5D and my T2i. Starting and stopping is all it does. No other controls. Paid about $23 at BHPhoto a year or so ago.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD