Canon 100mm F2.8 L Macro IS - For Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Canon 100mm F2.8 L Macro IS - For Video

It looks like I've just landed a big job with a corporate client shooting 20 product demo videos for web (each will be in English and 2 other European languages). I've got an EX3 and Canon 7D (with Canon 10-22mm EF-S, Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS EF-S and Canon 70-200mm F4 IS and a few other bits and bobs lens wise like an Olympus 50mm F1.8 and a Canon 1.4X converter).

It looks like there might be a LOT of close up/macro work (both stills and video) so I'm seriously considering getting the latest version of the Canon 100mm F2.8 L Macro with it's highly rated new IS system for this job (even though this job will all be done on tripod). It's about £700 incl VAT from reputable camera dealers here in the UK - which this projects budget can easily stand - and of course I'll then have the lens in my kit bag at the end of it!...:-)

The reviews are pretty good with stills photography sites but I'm wondering how many of you are using this new lens on the 7D for VIDEO. I'm well versed on the limitations of the 7D so it's lens impressions I'm after. Any comments would be much much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here is a typical review from a well trusted site.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens Review

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; October 1st, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Got my converter wrong!
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Major Player

If you check Philip Bloom's website he mentions this in his lens review -

Which…lenses to buy? | Philip Bloom

Scroll down and there are two clips using this lens.

You have almost identical equipment to me, and I used my Ex-3 for some close-ups with the stock lens and got great results - tack sharp zoomed in to the max. So that may be an option beside a macro.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Jon. That was so useful - I think I'd seen those films ages ago and just forgot about what lens Phil used. OK now I want one!

Credit card is almost out of my wallet. Anyone else got some comments?
Old October 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

My use isn't quite what you were asking about. I use it mostly stills on a 5DmII, but without question it is a wonderful lens. Of course, you'll have the 1.6 crop factor so it'll seem like a longer lens on the 7D.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Peter. I stumbled into this film just now (albeit it's using a full frame Canon 5DMkII) with a Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro IS used for a lot of the shots.

Subject matter looks WAY more "interesting" than the product demos I might be shooting for my client...(!) ;-)

White Blossoms - Canon 5D MKII on Vimeo
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Major Player

I have one and use it for stills only on 7D's. For stills, the IS is handy when hand-holding. Really shallow depth of field - be careful.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Lens arrives tomorrow. I will...and I'll hope to have some fun with it too!
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Well it arrived - it's an absolute cracker of a lens!

Really sharp for stills. I just love how I can completely fill the frame with a small item.

The IS is fairly quiet - certainly not silent. For video work I'd use alternate double system sound to 7D's on board camera mic for anything important anyway. The IS works REALLY well for hand holding when using it as a relatively fast Telephoto on my "naked" (i.e. no rig) 7D - perfect for my needs. Lovely bokeh. Not tried hand holding for any Macro shots yet but that's going to be mostly (probably always) tripod stuff of course. When working in close you get the expected VERY shallow depth of field Richard mentioned.

I can see so many possibilities for this lens (technical and creative...and fun!) which my EX3's macro setting can't deliver (since small objects, like for example a wrist watch dial, won't fill the frame at closest focus setting on the EX). It's also going to be a great mid-range IS capable Tele (effective 160mm on the 7D of course) for when I don't want to carry around my Canon 70-200 F4 IS or if just need another stop of light for that range. I'll be enjoying it's capabilities long after the pain of paying for it has gone with this one I think.

If I was n't so busy with client edits I'd throw a little macro video together to show you all - that's going have to wait for a week or two! Right, back to work...

EDIT: It had stopped raining by this afternoon and we had a lovely sunny end to the day so I couldn't resist it! Took an hour off the editing and went for a walk to take pictures and clips of gargoyles and stuff around the Cathedral, all handheld. The latest version of IS that Canon put on this lens really is the best I've personally seen on a DSLR camera lens for smoothing out any shakes when video shooting. It definitely seems (even) more effective than my Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS (when on 55mm, so not a fair comparison really) and my 70-200mm F4 IS (where a direct comparison at the same focal length is easily possible). Even when I deliberately tried to wave this 100mm Macro IS around a bit it I still got perfectly useable video, no micro-jitters or anything horrible. All that with no cumbersome rig (or anything), just me, the 7D and this lovely new mid-range Tele Macro. Whooa!!!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; October 6th, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Trustee

I just shot some stuff one this lens. I am going to put the clips up in a week or two. while nice, I still love my tamron 70-200 2.8 way more. while it doesn't focus as close, I can go to 200mm and be in the ball park. add in a 12mm extension tube and go even closer. FWIW, I bought some Zeikos extension tubes on ebay that turned out to be pure junk. plastic lens mounts, failed to mount most of my lenses. they went back thankfully and I'm looking for some others
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #10
Major Player

The 100mm f/2.8 is an excellent lens - no question and I'm sure you'll get some great images with it, but if people can't afford a dedicated prime lens for their macro shots I recommend they get a set of extension tubes - not as easy to use or as sharp as the prime, but it will get you that shot of bee flapping it wings.
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Major Player

I have listened to two different interviews with the DP of the TV show House that used the Canon 5D on it's series final last May. In both interviews he stated that his favorite lens to shoot with was the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro IS lens.

If you watch the show and see some of the close up shots that they got with that lens it is amazing. I can't wait to add one to my kit.
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Used this lens extensively at a product shoot yesterday. Client was absolutely delighted with the results (so was I). I cannot imagine not having this lens in my 7D kit now. :-)
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM   #13
Trustee

well I did get a lens review done with video here, and includes some shots with the tamron 70-200

Canon 100 2.8 Macro Lens Test vs Tamron 70-200 2.8

I also finally got some extension tubes that work ! they are optek with metal lens mounts and full contacts. just got them today, but it was fun to play with them. interesting to put them onto a 400mm lens and the tamron 17-50 which on its own focuses into near macro range without any macro button weird modes, just keep focusing in :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD