overheating at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Major Player

overheating

Hi Today I used my new T2i with a 10-22 lens for the first time producing a music video. Shot was lock down, hand grip, no viefinder, temp around 88. 1080 p. Camera was in diffused sun under umbrella. Camera was ok for about 5 minute takes. Got the temp indicator twice but camera continued to function. Sandisk Extreme 16 GB cards. Turned the camera off in-between takes.
No real problems, chilled the camera down with disposable ice packs from the dollar store during and in-between takes and all worked fine.
Am looking into a circulating water filled joint therapy system that runs from an igloo-like cooler with ice water.
In the end it will be cheaper than buying dollar ice packs. Just another thing to lug around though.
Has anyone else tried this?
Here is a picture with the ice paclk and umbrella...
http://www.keystv.com/Pictures/5D_cool.jpg
Thanks, Craig

Last edited by Craig Hollenback; October 4th, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Possible Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback View Post
Hi Today I used my new T2i with a 10-22 lens for the first time producing a music video. Shot was lock down, hand grip, no viefinder, temp around 88. 1080 p. Camera was in diffused sun under umbrella. Camera was ok for about 5 minute takes. Got the temp indicator twice but camera continued to function. Sandisk Extreme 16 GB cards. Turned the camera off in-between takes.
No real problems, chilled the camera down with disposable ice packs from the dollar store during and in-between takes and all worked fine.
Am looking into a circulating water filled joint therapy system that runs from an igloo-like cooler with ice water.
In the end it will be cheaper than buying dollar ice packs. Just another thing to lug around though.
Has anyone else tried this?
Here is a picture with the ice paclk and umbrella...
http://www.keystv.com/Pictures/5D_cool.jpg
Thanks, Craig
Just ordered this product....I expect that it will eliminate overheating...also runs on 12 volts.
Opti-Ice Cold Therapy System With Knee Cooling Pad NEW - eBay (item 380267097138 end time Oct-08-10 08:07:41 PDT)
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had overheating problems, but the problem came from the memory card.
Only use class 6 and class 10 cards
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:26 AM   #4
New Boot

We are shooting a documentary in Botswana, Africa and we are using a 550D as a B-roll cam. Yesterday it was about 35-38 Celsius here, but pretty dry (despite late evening t-storms) .

550d went good for about 15 minutes of the interview, then showed the overheating sign, but continued for remaining 5 minutes of the interview. Since it's a B-roll cam - that is good enough for me.

EX-1 went (despite being veeeery hot) for an hour or more being turned on, shooting interior and exterior, handheld and on the tripod with no problems.
Adam Plywaczewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Once more. The problem lies in the memory card you are using. Try a class-10 from a different brand or replace the card. We had the overheating problem. We even bought the cooling packs, but then we used another card, and all the problems were gone. I live in Suriname and we were shooting outside with temperatures above 30 degree celsius.
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My take on overheating

Just for the record, I was told by Canon that, the camera will shut itself down (power down) before it gets to hot to actually hurt the camera. I ran my T2i for around 130 min. swapping SD cards and never shutting down. For all but about 30 min. or so the overheating icon was flashing away. No harm, no foul.

Having worked for a large electronics manf. for years I can say that there is a liability issue where any "heat" issue is concerned. You would be surprised how many customers will try and get very testy about their stuff getting TO HOT.... how hot is to hot?? Good questions but a manufacture will always be conservative so as to prevent angry calls and unpleasant customer interactions.

Now having said that I may try the class 10 thing myself and see how that goes. Also I would not be comfortable ignoring that flashing icon on a regular basis. However on an important project if that came up, Id likely just roll with it and not worry to much, but thats just me. Again Id bet that icon is a safety aspect that come on well in advance of any deleterious effects to either the camera or the video.

Annoying? Yes. Consistent behavior across a cross sections of the same model camera ... hell no.

Buy what ya gonna do :-)
Clayton Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Trustee

Well, you could be shooting 6 days of exteriors here in Michigan with it. No problems at all so far with overheating...

Course, it is very cold here.
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD