Turning Focus ring while AF engaged at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Turning Focus ring while AF engaged

I'm using a Tamron 17-50 VCII lens on a 7D and 2Ti. I can turn the focus ring while AF is engaged fairly easily to focus (not while camera is trying to autofocus!) . Is this unduly hard on the AF drive as long as the motor isn't actively trying to focus?

It would be nice to AF at the start of a shot and avoid the shakes and noise of turning off AF during the same shot. Don't want to damage the lens, however.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the same lens and a Canon Ef 50mm 1.4
The Canon lens definitely can be manual focused while AF is on, but the Tamron feels really weird when pulling focus while AF is on. I wouldn´t do it.
Felix Steinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Besides the speed of the lens, how do images from the Tamron hold up to the 50mm f1.4? (yeah, I know it's not a fair comparison)
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Major Player

The Tamron does not have a USM motor, so manual-focus while AF is engaged is not suggested - the gears are only plastic, and you may eventually grind them out. Tamron is rolling out a USM style mechanism, but it's not available yet on most of their lenses.

Many of the Canon's have USM and allow for FTM (Full-Time Manual - look for this keyword), so you can always manually focus the lens even while AF is engaged.

There's advantages and disadvantages either way. USM style lenses do not have hard stops, you can keep spinning the focus wheel forever.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys, I'll refrain from manual focusing while in AF unless it keeps me from missing a crucial shot.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD