Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC

Using this lens on a 550D. Fantastic lens. Not as sharp as the non-VC version, but for video it exceeds resolution capabilities of the video anyway. It's also heavier and bigger than the non-VC.

BUT who cares! VC (vibration compensation) works an absolute charm. It takes away all of the shake. An easy test would be to use the extender/digital zoom button and switch VC on and off. Huge difference. With this lens there's no need for any brace or stabilising system. I also use the camera strap around my neck for added stability.

NEGATIVE: the focus ring is not smooth. On the wide end it is okay, but zoom in and it's behaviour becomes finicky. It doesn't stop and start smoothly and the images looks as if the focus is clicking and jumping around. Solution? Follow focus? I'm hoping that the added gears and friction will smooth out the motion.

Can anyone recommend a follow focus system that is priced right and works excellently? I'm hoping that the follow focusing system doesn't get in the way of the focus ring however!! Can it be more forward or underneath a little?

Cheers,
Frank
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Can you describe "finicky"? Does it just get tighter when zoomed in?

Good to hear another good review on the Tamron. I've been thinking about getting this for a while.
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It doesn't stop and start smoothly and the images looks as if the focus is clicking and jumping around i.e not smooth
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I love the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC. Been shooting a bunch on it with my T2i. Here's a little snippet from a short I was helping my friend film the other night - needed the 60fps of my T2i and a wide fast lens:

(Shot wide open at 17mm f/2.8 and 800 ISO with shutter speed at 60 on a glidecam.)
Torrey Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Anyone recommend a follow focus that gives you space to access the zoom ring?
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Major Player

have you tried the Indisystems thingies? they seem to work for just about any focus ring
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I am ambivalent about this lens. For the outdoor scenes its about the same as the kit lens 18-55 IS. For low light, its just hair brighter than the kit at f3.5, and at the long end (50mm) its much dimmer than a 50mm f1.8. Obviously, if you have to have 35mm f2.8 for indoor situations this may be it. But that's an expensive solution to a rare situation.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

interesting solution to saving money. seems inconvenient to me. it seems your solution is to lose a stop or so on the wide end...lose more on the mid end and then swap lenses on the long end.

oh well. each to their own. for mine, i like the fact that with one lens i can go from 17-50 at 2.8 all the way with one lens. one that has an awesome steady function. i also have a 1.4 Nikon (with adapter) that can get me that low light stuff - no VC but!!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I agree that for indoor 17-50 f2.8 definately has advantages.
Just IMHO, I would rather get Canon 50mm f1.8 and Sigma 20mm f1.8 for the same amount of money as Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I am partial to prime lens though. I think these fast primes make indoor work much easier and the results look better too.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Tourist

Im new in photography / videography and I was searching very long for canon 18-55mm kit lenses replacment. I wanted universal zoom lenses with f/2.8, but canon 17-55 f/2.8 was to expencive for me at that moment, thats why after long reviews reading I decided to try tamron. It was way much better when my canon kit lenses in photography and videography. Only one thing I dont like in them - AF.

I read somewhere, that If you turn off VC the fotos will sharp as in older version, but I have no idea how much that is true, cose I never had before old version of this lenses without VC.

By the way, there is already thread about this lenses in second page: "Thoughts on Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Lens?"
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-2-8-lens.html (I would like too see them merge)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD