DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Got some 7D questions (some confusion) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/486628-got-some-7d-questions-some-confusion.html)

Danny Winn October 25th, 2010 08:33 PM

Got some 7D questions (some confusion)

I'd really love to buy the 7D but I need to clear some things up first;)
BTW, I shoot mainly commercials. Sorry if some of these are a little nutty.

1. The specs at BandH for the 7D say you can only shoot about 4GB's or 12mins of HD footage, is it not possible to use a 16GB Flash card and get 48mins of footage? If not how would you get say a hour worth of footage? 5, 4GB cards? Can you swich them out easily?

2. I use the Rode NTG shotgun mic for dialog, does the 7D provide phantom power through the 1/8 inch jack? I do know I will need an XLR to 1/8 inch adapter.

3. Does anybody know what the equivilant CCD would be for this camera, for example my Canon XH A1s has 3 1/3 inch CCD's, what would the 7D be equal to?

4. Does it write a new video file everytime you record on then off or is it just one big file on the Flash card? That make sense?

5. Is it easy to hook up an external HD monitor while shooting (15 inch in my case)

6. Does the 7D have a headphone jack and audio level screen?

Thanks for reading;)

Perrone Ford October 25th, 2010 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Winn (Post 1582184)
I'd really love to buy the 7D but I need to clear some things up first;)
BTW, I shoot mainly commercials. Sorry if some of these are a little nutty.

These questions and their answers have been posted nearly every week since the cameras release last November. But I'll answer them for you anyway. :)

Quote:

1. The specs at BandH for the 7D say you can only shoot about 4GB's or 12mins of HD footage, is it not possible to use a 16GB Flash card and get 48mins of footage? If not how would you get say a hour worth of footage? 5, 4GB cards? Can you swich them out easily?

It records about 12 minutes AT A TIME. Meaning each time you press record, you get about 11-12 minutes. For shooting commercials, this shouldn't be an issue. For event shooters, this is a much bigger issue.

Quote:

2. I use the Rode NTG shotgun mic for dialog, does the 7D provide phantom power through the 1/8 inch jack? I do know I will need an XLR to 1/8 inch adapter.

You will need to record to a separate device. The 7D internal recording is HORRIBLE. Not worth hooking any mic to. And for the record, no, there is not phantom power. You do not need an adapter. You need an audio recorder. I recommend the Zoom H4n. Or if your budget will allow, a SoundDevices unit or the Edirol R4. Or something similar.

Quote:

3. Does anybody know what the equivilant CCD would be for this camera, for example my Canon XH A1s has 3 1/3 inch CCD's, what would the 7D be equal to?

The size of the sensor:

It's about 10x the size of your A1.

I've attached a chart. Your sensor is slightly smaller than the smallest example shown. The 7D is a Canon APS-C.

Quote:

4. Does it write a new video file everytime you record on then off or is it just one big file on the Flash card? That make sense?

New file every time.

Quote:

5. Is it easy to hook up an external HD monitor while shooting (15 inch in my case)

Yes. You need an HDMI to mini HDMI cable. Plug it in the camera, and the monitor, and you're all set.

Danny Winn October 25th, 2010 09:20 PM

Perrone,

Thanks for the quick response, I did search all of these but the dvinfo search engine simply sucks:(

I appreciate all of your answers but I am still a little confused on the shooting time issue. Is it possible to just buy several Flash cards and switch them out when each one is full? My commercials on average usually consist of at least 55 minutes of footage. I just need to make sure that once my 12 mins are up I can simply throw in another card and continue;)

Again, I appreciate your response, I tend to answer the same questions myself multiple times a week over at the XH A1s forum myself so I get the frustration;)

Perrone Ford October 25th, 2010 09:27 PM

No problem at all... and yea, the search isn't the best...

Anyway, if you put in a 16GB card, you hit record and get 12 minutes. Recordinng stops. You press record again, and get 12 more minutes. You can do this until the card is full. Changing to a new card takes about 10 seconds.

Buy a 32GB card and call it a day. That's what I did. Most of my sporting events are about timed hour. I just bought 32GB cards, and have a 16GB backup card just in case of overtime.

Danny Winn October 25th, 2010 09:48 PM

Ah, now I get it!

The max duration in one recording session is 12 mins til you press record again, not 12 mins and you need a new card.

Thanks so much again, and it also looks like I can use the Zoom H4n with my NTG -2 no problem too.

Thanks once again Perrone, things are starting to come into focus now with the DSLR world:)

Perrone Ford October 25th, 2010 10:15 PM

Good Danny, but there is quite a lot to watch out for. So do your homework...

Andy Wilkinson October 26th, 2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Winn (Post 1582202)

.....I did search all of these but the dvinfo search engine simply sucks...

Hi Danny, I have to disagree with that statement.

Sure the search function is not "perfect" - but with a few well chosen key words and focussed searching in the correct forum area it's usually possible to pull up a number of very useful threads in seconds (and then find what others have said within a couple of minutes by scanning relevant looking threads). There is so much good info here on DVinfo that anyone who just dismisses the search function (or anyone who reads statements like that and then does not bother to try using the search function) really is missing out! Well chosen keywords in Google (etc.) searches also pull up good DVinfo threads easily.

Five minutes learning how to use the DVinfo search function effectively will serve you very well, now and in the future - TRUST ME!!!!

Not having a go at you Danny, just trying to encourage you and others to use this wonderful resource effectively. It also has the benefit to everyone on here that we don't have to wade through a plethora of parallel threads all essentially discussing the same few things..... Sure, if you really need something clarified, or some suggestions, and can't find it out by the usual quick web trawl or search on here - just ask and you'll get some help from many on here, me included.

And welcome to the strange, sometimes wonderful (and sometimes frustrating....) world that is DSLRs for HD video!

Danny Winn October 26th, 2010 07:27 AM

I appreciate your efforts Andy but I stick by my statement about the Search engine.

For example, before I posted all these questions I searched the following "7d Headphone Jack?", then it took me to the "Sorry no matches" page.

I did this with all my questions, not only that but Perrone gave me some specific answers that were exactly what I needed within about 30 minutes and I am gratefull to him.

I've been a member here for nearly 2 years and have tried the search multiple times with only slight results, so I'm not exactly a newbie here;)

Thanks though, I will always continue to try the search before posting;)

Zach Love October 26th, 2010 07:36 AM

Also a lot of the challenges with shooting video with the 7D are true for nearly any other DSLR.

There is TONS of info out there. While there are some differences between each model, shooting video with a DSLR when coming from a camera built first & foremost to be a video camera, DSLRs are a very different beast.

You can't just pick it up & expect it to have the bells & whistles of a Betacam. Hell, the most basic of consumer video cameras at Best Buy have features that people would give their left arm for if DSLRs included them.

The trend today is to shoot with these cameras. Before that, it was Letus & Redrock. In another year, at least Panasonic & Sony will be selling cameras that will kill at least 75% of the video DSLR market when they come out with large sensor sub $10k cameras designed for video use.

If you're really considering getting a 7D (I've loved mine so far), read the first 3 pages of the 7D forum here. You'll get all the answers you've just asked & then some.

Andy Wilkinson October 26th, 2010 07:53 AM

Hi again Danny. I just tried "headphone" as a key word in searching the 7D Forum section and got 24 hits (not all of which were relevant but a fair few were - from a quick look at just the titles). Then I tried "audio monitoring" as keywords, again just searching the 7D Forum and got 18 hits (and many look highly relevant threads....)

So I'll stand by my words too!....use a few well chosen key words and success in getting information quickly and easily is more likely (but not totally guaranteed, I fully accept). There are times when I get the "Sorry No Matches Found" result too.... so it's nothing personal!

Finally, just in case it was n't clear, I really was n't having a go at you Danny, honest! Just trying to encourage people to get info as easily and quickly as is possible on here. Zach also offers good advice as indeed does Perrone and hopefully all this will help you get the info you need to decide if the 7D is right for your needs. I can well remember agonising over it for several weeks before I got mine last year.

Good luck Danny.

Danny Winn October 26th, 2010 01:01 PM

Thanks Zach and Andy,

The thing that really makes me want to get the 7D is the fact that last years Doritos Superbowl ad contest winner (and 2nd place USA Today admeter commercial with an extra $600.000 prize) was shot on the Canon 5D. I have read that the 7D is actually an upgrade with more video options than even the 5D. (I know theres a debate about that one too)

The DOF look is sooo popular right now and I don't want to mess with the adapters for my XH A1s so it makes the 7D very appealing as a quick and relatively low cost soulution while bearing in mind that there will be a learning curve. I kinda welcome the challenge though:)

Thanks again guys!

Zach Love October 26th, 2010 11:36 PM

7D as an upgrade to the 5D is a little yes & a little no.

Out of the box, yes the 7D has more options than the 5D, but Canon came out with a firmware upgrade for the 5D & there is Magic lantern, IMHO those give the 5D a leg up.

Also look at the T2i (aka 550D), has the same chip as the 7D, just fewer options & not as good of a still camera. But all settings the same, video side by side (T2i & 7D), you won't be able to see a difference.

John Richard October 27th, 2010 07:58 AM

7D vs. T2i - 7D has 2each Digic Processors while the T2i has only 1.

Perrone Ford October 27th, 2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 1582719)
7D vs. T2i - 7D has 2each Digic Processors while the T2i has only 1.

What's that got to do with the video?

Lee Ying October 27th, 2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Winn (Post 1582468)
Thanks Zach and Andy,

The thing that really makes me want to get the 7D is the fact that last years Doritos Superbowl ad contest winner (and 2nd place USA Today admeter commercial with an extra $600.000 prize) was shot on the Canon 5D. I have read that the 7D is actually an upgrade with more video options than even the 5D. (I know theres a debate about that one too)

The DOF look is sooo popular right now and I don't want to mess with the adapters for my XH A1s so it makes the 7D very appealing as a quick and relatively low cost soulution while bearing in mind that there will be a learning curve. I kinda welcome the challenge though:)

Thanks again guys!

If you want shallower DOF, better low light, lower noise on giant screen and better color dynamic, then 5D is without a question the winner over 7D. But if you are filming mostly in good lighting conditions and don't show it on giant screens 5D and 7D probably don't look that much different except 5D having shallower DOF.