New to dslr - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks for your input Perrone. Even though I'm new to DSLR, it doesn't mean I'm new to neither movies nor video production.
Auto focus is not a good idea many times but there are others when it comes in handy.

I mentioned the af as a response to what Johannes said:

"With DSLR, as others have mentioned, these things you need to keep in mind:
1. No auto focus.. yet"
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #17
Major Player

I concur with Perrone. Remove AF from your thinking entirely. This from someone that uses AF extensively for stills.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
I concur with Perrone. Remove AF from your thinking entirely. This from someone that uses AF extensively for stills.
:)

There is a reason it gets nicknames like:

"Auto MISSfocused"
"Auto SOFTfocus"
"Auto WRONGfocus"

I don't even shoot stills with AF most of the time. Too slow and unpredictable. It's great for portraits though where I am in strict control of the framing and subject. I set my focus point on the eyes, and just go to work. That's lovely. But for anything else... not so much.
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Using Quick Focus when you are in Live View is very quick & accurate. The mirror is flipped down then focus taken & the mirror flips back up. Unlike the 5DII on the 7D I believe that you can even use this QF while shooting video although the recording will be interrupted momentarily. I use single-point focus rather than the multi-point so that I know exactly what the AF system is focusing on.

The Live Mode AF which does not flip the mirror or use the proper AF sensor) is very poor however as it takes several seconds to hit focus & has a tendency to 'hunt'.

Of course you need to be using EF-S or EOS lenses to use AF.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #20
Major Player

When you have moving objects coming fast at you (and the AF works right) it can come in very handy. Have a look at the SONY website for AF on their flagship. A motocross racing towards you. Although most of the times you won't want to use it, there are situations it would be nice, right? (Given that it works alright of course.)
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #21
Inner Circle

What is missing from the Canon DSLRs compared to a camcorder is continuous autofocus.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #22
Major Player

Well...... rather than listening to Perrone, go ahead and rent a 7D, do a short, use AF, and see what you get.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Wow Perrone, you seem to have the personality of a wet mop. This guy was merely asking for advice and you seem to be consistently insulting him like he's the biggest idiot on the planet. Not all of us are as informed and intelligent as you are and maybe you should try to remember that next time someone seeks advice on here.
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #24
Regular Crew

With DSLR, as others have mentioned, these things you need to keep in mind:
1. No auto focus.. yet
2. A 12-mins continuous recording limit (on Canon). A 16GB card will give you roughly 45 mins in total.
3. You may need to change lens from time to time.. there's no one single lens that is perfect for everything
4. You need stabilization unit. DSLR operating by itself will give shaky footage.
5. Audio input is very basic (only 3.5mm input jack).. no XLR input and the likes

Hope it helps..[/QUOTE]

One added question as a non-DSLR user, regarding the continuous recording limit. About how many seconds does it take to stop record and then re-start record after that limit has been reached? What is the lapse time?
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Okawa View Post
One added question as a non-DSLR user, regarding the continuous recording limit. About how many seconds does it take to stop record and then re-start record after that limit has been reached? What is the lapse time?
Just the time that it takes you to realise that it has stopped & press the record button again i.e. less than 1 second.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD