Question about Monochrome Picture Style at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 13th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Question about Monochrome Picture Style

I wanted to try out the monochrome picture style for s short piece i'm working on. I went out to do some test today about an hour before sunset, just looked at the results and i wasn't very please. The only tweak i made in the monochrome picture style was to dial all the way down both the sharpness and the contrast. I guess what I'm trying to achieve is a new noir film look but without the high contrast. Is it best to
film directly from monochrome if you want to leave out color or is it best to use a color picture style then remove color in post? i feel safer doing color just in case I am unhappy with the monochrome look what do you think?
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Major Player

I always shoot color and do the monochrome conversion in post - this gives you more flexibility in adjusting the tonality through the three channels, you can do things like punch up faces by tweaking the red channel, etc. Here's our latest project, shot in color (neutral profile, sharpness & contrast all the way down) & finished in monochrome in Color:

Old November 13th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Major Player

ok thanks i will try that instead.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD