Integrating 7D with other HD cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Integrating 7D with other HD cameras

Sorry if this has been posted before, if so direct me to other threads please.

What is the best non DSLR camera to integrate footage with the 7D without any quality/resolution problems?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Trustee

Lee,

Ive tried mixing it with a lot of diff cameras, from a Red one, JVChd100 & hd200, DVX, even with cams using a 35 adapter.

Basically its not the cam but how you grade it in post that will line up everything.

In this project, the first few scenes are JVC HDxx cameras, after the title its all 7D;
http://exposureroom.com/costabella/

A test putting a red one side by side a 7D to see how they can intercut;
http://exposureroom.com/redand7d/

Hope that helps,

Ted
Old November 27th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've cut footage from a 7D and an EX1 and it worked well. We ended up using the 7D for talking heads and WA scenics and the EX1 for action shots, so admittedly there were not a lot of the same scenes where we were using both cameras as an A & B.

Cheers, Simon
Simon Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Simon I'm thinking of doing the same thing, using the 7D for dialogue and close ups on action, and another HD camera for establishing shots, two shots, etc.

Does the additional camera have to shoot in 24p if i shoot the 7D in 24p?
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

I use the 7D and the Sony EX in the same shoots. I set both cameras at the same 'Kelvin' (K) settings manually and Ive been impressed with how close the footage is in terms of colour etc
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Major Player

To add to this thread if I may, does anyone use their 7D with a 5D2 pm a regular basis? and f so do you have colour issues?
My 7D and 5D2 seem to be way off even when set the same.

Thanks
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Trustee

wayne,

unfortunately a lot of the 5Ds and 7Ds dont have the same factory set colors.

You might have noticed that canon has a unique color character, but often you see the skin tones lean towards orangy or magenta.

Shane Hurlbut ASC. who also works with around 20 5Ds have confirmed this and has individually recalibrated his cameras. His results are more predictable now.

I have also done the same and now my skin tones, reds and yellows are now much better.

Here is a link to his blog on how it is done.

Color Correction: Put Your Best Foot Forward | Hurlbut Visuals

Hope this helps,

Ted
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Ted,

thank you so much for that. You've set me on the right road to getting them to match. I've been playing with settings for the past half hour and although it's not looking like it will be easy to get right, I think I can get it 'right enough' to not be a problem when shooting things like interviews in future.

Very pleased! Thanks again.
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #9
Trustee

Your Welcome Wayne,

And don't worry, its not just you, the canon software is not designed to give very minute adjustments and just a little nudge is already a lot of difference. It took us hours to get it right.

It does help if you have a color chart to point at and a "human sacrifice" whose patient enough to sit for hours while you test skin tones.

But just to get it close is already a big step forward.

Best,

Ted
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Well I've got it as close as I can for now Ted, and will do some real world testing in the next few days.
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Has anyone had any luck with integrating the 7D with the Canon VIXIA series or a similar HD camera?
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Trustee

I do a regular shoot with the xf300, my 7D and my friends 5D. The first time out, we set the dslrs to neutral, white balanced and went about our biz. Getting it all back to edit, we realized some fine tuning would be needed to minimize the work in post. Not that it was hard to match all three but more work than it should be. Essentially, the XF looks the most natural color-wise. The dslrs looked oversaturated with the 5D having a slightly different look. Hard to describe but as mentioned above, the identical settings don't match the 7D and 5D together. Alone the dslrs look great as is but bringing them back to reality is important when blending with a true video camera.
We've not had a lot of time to tweak but before the next shoot we will be spending a day to get things sorted out. I'll be happy to share what we find.
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Major Player

This is as far as I got this morning. As mentioned, I will try some real world tests later in the week.
Attached Thumbnails
Integrating 7D with other HD cameras-screen-shot-2010-12-05-11.47.04.png  
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Tamer View Post
Simon I'm thinking of doing the same thing, using the 7D for dialogue and close ups on action, and another HD camera for establishing shots, two shots, etc.

Does the additional camera have to shoot in 24p if i shoot the 7D in 24p?
We were shooting 25p, but yes ideally keep the framerate the same on both cameras or you are just going to cause yourself more work in post.

Working with the EX1 and 7D seems fairly easy. White balance both and they come out very similar and a lot closer than some other cameras I've tried to combine with the 7D. Interesting info about the XF300 - if anyone comes up with some out the box settings for that I'll be all ears as I have a shoot lined up for early next year probably using a XF305 and a 7D.

Cheers, Simon
Simon Spear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD