Lens for use on GlideCam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens for use on GlideCam

Hey Kids...

I am thinking of getting a GlideCam for the 7D and am looking for some ideas on the best lens to "glide" with. Obviously the issue is the exposure combination and deeper DOF. In my work I use a combo of the Canon 50/1.4...Tokina 11-16 Wide...a Canon Macro...and a Canon Telephoto. I have a selection of ND filters as well.

I bought the 7D body only so I have no GP lens per se. What would be a good choice for general shooting on the GlideCam where I can sort of dial in a reasonable focus and go?

For example in a work application it would be following medical people around in a hospital setting...tracking shots around patients being examined or moving around...that kind of stuff.

Thanks.
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Contributor

The wide angle would be best. I use a 5D with mostly a 24mm prime for most Steadicam shooting. That would be about like 15mm on your Tokina. Sometimes I'll use a 35mm, which would be close to a 21 or 22 mm on the 7D. Wider is always easier.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Wrangler

Focus is sort of a new wrinkle in the small stabilizer meets large sensor world. You guys have to stick with wide angles and deep stops to produce decent images. Sooner or later there will be a cost-effective solution for all of this (I know it's not my $40K Preston)!

However, once you get past the focus issues, it's often believe that wider=easier for Steadicam and that is often not the case. It's perhaps more forgiving in certain aspects, but including so much architecture in the shot tends to draw attention to the horizontals and the verticals and horizon becomes even more of a "thing".
I have personally felt that the sweet spot in focal lengths that are the easiest are 25-40mm (that being cine, so think of those focal lengths on a 7D). Longer than that gets tricky as the touch has to become that much more delicate, however at significantly longer lengths (100mm and up), you are often framing closeups which have a certain amount of allowable movement, and horizon is essentially a non-issue.
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

So using a 7D, would a 17-40 L series Lens be good?

Also, is it best to stick focus on infinity when using a stedicam?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Major Player

...but there are excellent examples of Steadicam flying with a EF 14 mm f/2.8L II.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I always use my Tokina 11-16 and my fish eye. I can use my 24-70mm with additional weights but this is very heavy
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Major Player

I do use the Tokina 11-16 as well as the Canon 17-55 on my HD2000, both lenses perform very good and the weight is easily handable.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
...but there are excellent examples of Steadicam flying with a EF 14 mm f/2.8L II.
Concur! I rented this lens and used it with great success. It is a fantastic partner for Steadicam work. Not cheap, just good. I haven't used the zooms that cover this range but I suspect they are good as well.
Nathanael Iversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Davison View Post
I always use my Tokina 11-16 and my fish eye. I can use my 24-70mm with additional weights but this is very heavy
Hey Tim,
What fisheye are you using?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD