DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Sharp focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/489515-sharp-focus.html)

Anas El-Biad December 30th, 2010 10:49 AM

Sharp focus

Hey guys, I'm going to buy a t2i or 60d soon and I was curious to know what do you guys use to have perfectly focused shots? I know that the resolution drops to SD while recording with an external monitor. I know you can focus before you start recording, but what if the subject is moving? I think a LCD viewfinder can be usefull but not really when using a steady cam or shots where the cam is near the ground. I've heard some people say that the tiny lcd screen is not big enough for focusing while others seem to say it is just fine.

So what are you guys using? Monitor, viewfinder, lcd screen? Combination of all?

Thanks!

J.J. Kim December 30th, 2010 10:09 PM

LCD screen only for me when I shoot weddings. practice and slower f-stop would help. especially for moving image, I would be scared to shoot 1.4. or even 2.0.
but with practice, you could get better.

Anas El-Biad December 31st, 2010 01:42 PM

Thanks J.J.

Anybody else?

Luke Gates December 31st, 2010 03:50 PM

I use the LCDVF loupe which is REALLY nice! 2x magnification is perfect IMHO, and the way it attaches is perfect. I was skeptical when I first got it but it has worked flawlessly for the past 6 months. I really wanted the zacuto initially but couldn't justify the huge price difference and am glad I got the LCDVF.

I could never get by with just the cameras viewfinder. I tried at first but felt like I was always guessing. Also the viewfinder makes the camera so much more stable since there are 3 points of contact, one being your head. It really makes that much of a difference. If you use an external monitor with the T2i the HDMI out is only SD so take that into consideration. Not sure if the 60d is full HD, I know the 7d is.

Steve Oakley January 1st, 2011 06:53 PM

follow focus and marks.

operator skill & experience

F4 - F8 if you have fast moving or unpredictable subjects

the LCD on the camera with loupe of your choice is better since it doesn't seem to drop into SD as an external monitor does. even in SD, you can roughly tell if you are in or out, but not critically, which is where the first 3 items come into play.

Travis Cossel January 6th, 2011 07:26 PM

Another trick that my friend Dave Williams uses is just a simple pair of reading glasses with like 1.25x magnification. He swears it's easier to use than a loupe. I tried it briefly when I was at dinner with him and I was impressed. Just don't know if I like having reading glasses on me. d;-)

Spiros Zaharakis January 19th, 2011 04:24 PM

If i'm not mistaken I believe that the Magic Lantern firmware hack offers among other usefull features focus peaking. Other than that expect to have a lot of unuseable footage with moving subjects.

That's the only reason I'm getting a Sony SLT a33 for those moving shots.