Sharp focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 30th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sharp focus

Hey guys, I'm going to buy a t2i or 60d soon and I was curious to know what do you guys use to have perfectly focused shots? I know that the resolution drops to SD while recording with an external monitor. I know you can focus before you start recording, but what if the subject is moving? I think a LCD viewfinder can be usefull but not really when using a steady cam or shots where the cam is near the ground. I've heard some people say that the tiny lcd screen is not big enough for focusing while others seem to say it is just fine.

So what are you guys using? Monitor, viewfinder, lcd screen? Combination of all?

Thanks!
Anas El-Biad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Major Player

LCD screen only for me when I shoot weddings. practice and slower f-stop would help. especially for moving image, I would be scared to shoot 1.4. or even 2.0.
but with practice, you could get better.
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks J.J.

Anybody else?
Anas El-Biad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the LCDVF loupe which is REALLY nice! 2x magnification is perfect IMHO, and the way it attaches is perfect. I was skeptical when I first got it but it has worked flawlessly for the past 6 months. I really wanted the zacuto initially but couldn't justify the huge price difference and am glad I got the LCDVF.

I could never get by with just the cameras viewfinder. I tried at first but felt like I was always guessing. Also the viewfinder makes the camera so much more stable since there are 3 points of contact, one being your head. It really makes that much of a difference. If you use an external monitor with the T2i the HDMI out is only SD so take that into consideration. Not sure if the 60d is full HD, I know the 7d is.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Trustee

follow focus and marks.

operator skill & experience

F4 - F8 if you have fast moving or unpredictable subjects

the LCD on the camera with loupe of your choice is better since it doesn't seem to drop into SD as an external monitor does. even in SD, you can roughly tell if you are in or out, but not critically, which is where the first 3 items come into play.
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Another trick that my friend Dave Williams uses is just a simple pair of reading glasses with like 1.25x magnification. He swears it's easier to use than a loupe. I tried it briefly when I was at dinner with him and I was impressed. Just don't know if I like having reading glasses on me. d;-)
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If i'm not mistaken I believe that the Magic Lantern firmware hack offers among other usefull features focus peaking. Other than that expect to have a lot of unuseable footage with moving subjects.

That's the only reason I'm getting a Sony SLT a33 for those moving shots.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD