DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Please Recommend(parts) and (re)explain Zoom H4N +7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/489799-please-recommend-parts-re-explain-zoom-h4n-7d.html)

Daniel Dayani January 6th, 2011 03:33 AM

Please Recommend(parts) and (re)explain Zoom H4N +7D

Hey guys as you can tell im pretty new to this whole DSLR realm. I have been on my way the past couple weeks with my 7D, two lenses, tripod, z finder and rode video mic. As of late I have been pretty discontent with the sound from my 7D and Rode Videomic. Dont get me wrong, for being an fairly cheap mic it definetly does its job to full potential. Regarding the Zoom H4N though is where I am completely clueless. Do you need an XLR output to place into the Zoom? Or do you just need an external mic, H4N and 7D onboard mic.What i am trying to say is filming with the 7D a totally different entity than the Zoom?

Sorry if this is all too wordy but essentially i guess iam asking is if someone could outline exactly what to buy with zoom h4n down to every detail. I have a budget of about $700 but hopefully looking not to spend it all but i am completely open to suggestions. I know for interviews I will need a wireless microphone ect (any suggestions??)... So far i have heard suggestions about the NTG 2, Zoom and a boom but I am looking for serious professional sound on interviews. Previously i used an NTG 1 but definitely want to move on from that. hopefully yall understand my trouble, as it has been discussed a million times here i know, just looking for more insight on some more personal issues.
thanks!!

Doug Bailey January 8th, 2011 09:02 AM

Hi Daniel,
I'm replacing mine with a Sennheiser MKE400, it will be here on Monday. Read lots of good posts here on Tascam vs. Zoom.

Regards,
Doug.

Jon Grimson January 8th, 2011 01:56 PM

Daniel, I never understood why people spent any money on the shoe-mount Rode video mike to record audio directly into camera. Much better (and flexible) solution is the H4N and a good shotgun mike. This way you have total audio control at highest quality via the H4N can use any mike or lav's plus on-board stereo mike for ambient sound with full control over gain, audio record format etc. The on-board Rode into the camera is marginally better than the on-board camera mike itself and should only be used as scratch audio. Make sense?

Chris Westerstrom January 8th, 2011 04:05 PM

i think the use of the Rode mic is only to get acceptable enough sound to make it easier to sync later in post

Rainer Listing January 8th, 2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Dayani (Post 1604945)
Previously i used an NTG 1 but definitely want to move on from that.

Daniel, the NTG1 is the same as the NTG2 just without the power. You can use the NTG1 with the H4n. Some people have said an NTG1 on a H4n is heavy on the battery, but since the current draw is very minimal there's no reason why it should be and I haven't seen figures to back up the opinion. The H4n takes XLR. or mini input. An on-board Rode is still useful for sync and as a backup - it actually isn't too bad for interviews in a pinch, and if your sound is awful there are probably other reasons (of course, any wireless lav or boom will be an improvement).

Alf Hanna January 9th, 2011 12:16 AM

Zoom/7d/mics/etc

Daniel, occasionally there is a need to just gun and run with a light weight mic, without the carrying of another item like the zoom. But I also have a variety of mics for the zoom, including an audio technica shotgun ( I use this alot) , a russian oktava, a dynamic handheld mic electro voice 635a (a great field interview mic) , and a audio technica lav setup. Also I carry a mixpre field mixer, so either I or my sound person can properly mix in the field.

Ted Ramasola January 9th, 2011 05:28 PM

If you want to take the Zoom H4N + shotgun mic solution, try to get a mic with option for own power as the H4N is a power hog.

I strongly suggest you use batteries with high mAh like those used for flashes, but if you use phantom its still drains fast.

Jon Grimson January 9th, 2011 05:40 PM

Yes the H4n supplying phantom power does use batteries fast. I use rechargeable AA's or try and power with AC adapter, The advantage to the Zoom (if not run and gun shoot) is you can put it anywhere run mike cables and I usually can power my Zoom with AC. At least for the kind of work I usually do.

Daniel Dayani January 10th, 2011 01:43 PM

hey guys thanks for the replies. I am now definitely buying the zoom h4n and using the Rode Videomic for syncing purposes. My only question is, if I was to use wireless mics that I could tuck under someones jacket during an interview, how would it go into the zoom ? (through xlr?) .. and if i was to use a boom with a mic connected to it which is the best mic to use for under $700?
Thanks,
Daniel

Jon Grimson January 10th, 2011 04:47 PM

Yes XLR into the Zoom from your wireless receivers. They don't need phantom power. I use a Rode NTG-3 shotgun about $700 or so. This mike is a great shotgun mike, I couldn't live without it, need phantom power.