60D video questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

60D video questions

The 60D does not have shutter priority so as I understand it when you must before shooting video go into the menu and set shutter speed and use cheesy back dial to set the aperture. So that means button press to get to menu. The button presses to select MANUAL. Then set speed and aperture. Then exit menu.

Now you can press shutter half way to get AF which takes another second

Now press record. Now press again to stop.

Then you once again have to go into the menu system in order to set an aperture for the next shot.

This sounds too crazy to be true. Is it correct?

When you leave video MODE are your shutter speed and aperture settings lost?

And, does exposure comp work in video mode? I think not, but if it does -- does it alter speed (NOT ACCEPTBLE) and/or aperture? If EC worked on just the aperture you could set a base aperture in the menu and then use the EC dial before each shot to set the correct exposure!

Am I correct that you can only see what you are shooting via the LCD? Which means no VF in the sun? In fact, in the sun you will be unable to see what settings you are making because both back and top LCDs will be washed out.

Lastly, is the little top LCD back lit?
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Steve
No-one ever claimed DSLRs were perfect for video. But they are not as bad as all that. You set the framerate, size, mode to manual in the menu (only use menu once). Then dial up your shutter speed with the thumb dial on top and the aperture with the cheesy thumb wheel on the back. AF is not compulsory, but it can be live. Like every other video cam you press record to stop and start. Yes, you can't use the EVF for video. To shoot in bright sunlight you can boost the LCD brightness but it's better if you cover yourself and the camera with a dark blanket. Users more commonly squint while looking closely at the screen, or use a loupe or monitor. And then you have to worry about dual sound. Aperture and shutter speed are retained when you switch modes or turn off the camera. There's a little button with a lightbulb near the top of the LCD which let's you illuminate it. If you're asking because you wonder whether or not to buy one, don't hesitate, buy one, you will totally love it.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
The 60D does not have shutter priority so as I understand it when you must before shooting video go into the menu and set shutter speed and use cheesy back dial to set the aperture. So that means button press to get to menu. The button presses to select MANUAL. Then set speed and aperture. Then exit menu.

Then you once again have to go into the menu system in order to set an aperture for the next shot.

And, does exposure comp work in video mode? I think not, but if it does -- does it alter speed (NOT ACCEPTBLE) and/or aperture? If EC worked on just the aperture you could set a base aperture in the menu and then use the EC dial before each shot to set the correct exposure!

Am I correct that you can only see what you are shooting via the LCD? Which means no VF in the sun? In fact, in the sun you will be unable to see what settings you are making because both back and top LCDs will be washed out.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/030000...s60d-im-en.pdf
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Ah yes... the manual. But it doesn't mention focus blankets (actually, I'm really posting to correct my earlier post point about live focus which it wont let me edit - although it can say live focus on the LCD you do actually have to depress the shutter button to AF in video mode).
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post

I agree with you Steve. Although the video capabilities of the DSLR cameras is great I still believe that (at least with this generation of DSLRs) if you want to shoot video use a camcorder, if you want to shoot photos use a camera. Video in DSLR is an accessory to the video camera.

Stelios
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
I agree with you Steve. Although the video capabilities of the DSLR cameras is great I still believe that (at least with this generation of DSLRs) if you want to shoot video use a camcorder, if you want to shoot photos use a camera. Video in DSLR is an accessory to the video camera.

Stelios
Can you show me a video camera with interchangeable lenses, 35mm-size sensor and tremendous low-light capability for under $50,000?

This is why filmmakers are willing to work around issues with video in DSLRs, and why DSLRs are a revelation for independent filmmakers.

If you are a -novice- at video and want home movies of your kids playing soccer, you are better off with a cheap camcorder. And, you may as well get a point-and-shoot for stills as well.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Under $50k? RED ONE. And soon, Epic-S. Though they still aren't cheap.

For most of us, these are viable rentals, while we can own a DSLR 365 days a year. Personally, I like owning a shooting on a DSLR to build skill and vision. The day I want to do that special, well-scheduled project, I'll be ready to rent a RED.
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Red One, with a few lenses and accessories could approach $50,000. In any case - it's a rental. How much is rental for a week?

I think I'll stick with my 60D...
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD