Shifting to 550D from Camcorder !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shifting to 550D from Camcorder !!

Hi, as the title suggests i am thinking about shifting to Canon 550D mainly for my short films work. Right now i have a Sony SR11 camcorder with a wide angle lens, Azden mic and Hague cam stabilizer. I am not happy with my SR11 low light video quality as its very grainy and restricts me from taking too much shots at such situation. I do have some tungsten lights but its a hectic job to move around. More then half of my video is shot indoor or at night so you can say my foremost priority is low light quality. That's the main reason i want to shift to 550D while second reason being the film type look of the video cause of dof etc.

Now i know making videos on DSLR have its own negatives. If i shift i will be buying shoulder support rig, follow focus, lcd monitor etc. Rolling shutter wont be much of an issue as well since i dont pan dat fast.

My question is whether i should shift or not, whether i will get much better video quality? If yes then whether i should get the Canon 550D or some other cam in its nearby price range? Also will the canon 18-55mm lens be enough for me or should i be looking for a wide angle lens as well?
Shahzad Mian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hmmm do any one care for a reply ?
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Sure go ahead. the 550D is a great platform. but be prepared to do your audio on a separate recorder.
also the kit lens is OK will not really solve you low light issue unless you get faster lens. all of these subjects are extremely well covered in the forum.
but for short film making it is a great Camera and tough to beat the images for the price. but again you'll need external recorder if you want worthwhile audio.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Shahzad, I have never used the Sony SR11 camcorder. However, I did briefly look at the specs on it and it appears that your choice to switch to the Canon Rebel 550D/T2i is probably a good choice. The reason is, you can change out lenses and get the DOF that the SR11 probably doesn't provide as easily. Yes, rolling shutter is certainly an issue. Using a tripod is going to be your biggest friend with the 550D.

Also, this new Magic Lantern firmware that's just cropping up is going to make your world even better with the 550D. You will have the luxury of Zebra, Histogram, Waveform, and many other features that the Sony probably doesn't give you.
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanx for the replies.

Just read up on the auto gain issue in dslr's which means i have to get a beachtek adapter for it as well as i dont wana record the audio separatly and then go through the hassle of sync in post or should i? Can some one plz elaborate in detail about the audio side of 550d like wat issue may be faced etc.

Also can you plz recommend a wide angle lens dats gud in low light and is on a cheaper side.
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

For starters, the microphone on the 550D is not very good, however no on board microphone on any camera that I know of is worth a flip. Syncing up the audio really isn't that hard to do as long as you're using some type of editing software that shows a timeline on it. You can record audio on the camera and then audio off-camera at the same time. Then, you can sync both of them up together on the timeline in post. Once you do that, then put the audio that was from the camera on either mute or delete it entirely. It really is simple once you've done it a couple of times.
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I do know about syncing but i still think it utilizes much more time then the other way around. Anyways i have the Azden sgm-1x mic so which option would be better in ur opinion, either i get the beachtek adapter or record audio separately? Also which components would i need for recording audio off-cam.
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The (free and harmless) Magic Lantern firmware will solve many of your audio problems and you will not need the Beachtek.

For on-camera sound I suggest the new Rode Videomic Pro. The +20db setting will solve many problems.

For off camera audio on a budget the best choice is the Zoom H1 stereo recorder.

Plural eyes software from singular software will make sync so easy you won't even think about it.

With wide lenses for low light there are not that many options, Tokina 11-16, Samyang 14 f2.8 MF lens and Russian 16mm 2.8 fisheye are the widest and most affortable choices.

Instead of the kit lens you can either get a 17-50 f2.8 zoom or a couple f1.4-f2.0 primes. Sigma 20 f1.8, Sigma 30 f1.4, any manual focus used 50 f1.4 (under $100) and for a telephoto (if you need one) either a used MF 85, 100 or 135 prime or a 70-200 f2.8 - f4 zoom lens.

Samyang 14 f2.8, used Nikon 24 f2 + adapter or Sigma 30 f1.4, used Zuico 50 f1.4 +OM to EOS adapter and used Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 + adapter would be my choice of lenses for low budget purchases.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

^ i already have an Azden SGM-1x shotgun microphone. Will magic lantern solve the auto gain issue? i will definitely need either a beachtek adapter(on cam) or some xlr stereo recorder(off cam) cause how am i gona hear the audio during recording. If some one can suggest an xlr stereo recorder that is cheap then i will definitely go for off cam audio option.

Also there is now a Panasonic GH2 cam out as well which is getting a lot of praise for its video mode. Any one has info on that?
Old January 29th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Shahzad, the Zoom H1 recorder that Spiros speaks of is an excellent device. I have the Zoom H4n myself, which cost about $300 (American dollars), but I think the H1 is a much cheaper purchase which may meet your budget. If you want to know how to hear your recording, you'll need some headphones no matter what direction you go.
The Magic Lantern firmware will give you audio levels to view on the camera if you decide to use the on-camera microphone. However, you still want some headphones to hear if the sound is even the kind of sound you wanted. Spiros made a good point about the audio features on Magic Lantern that I didn't consider, because I don't use the audio features myself and didn't think about that. I have seen some Youtube videos of someone using the ML audio features to clean up their on-camera microphone and it does seem to make a huge difference.
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Do Canon 550d have a headphone jack? Zoom H1 dont have any xlr input.

Last edited by Shahzad Mian; January 29th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yes, it has a 1/8" jack on the camera for headphones. Just so you know, the Zoom H4n has two XLR inputs on it along with a headphone jack. That's the one I have.
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Gud i didn't knew it had a headphone jack. Well am gona see if audio is not up to par then will buy the Zoom H4n for off cam audio recording. Still though should i be buying the Canon 550D or Panasonic GH2?
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Regular Crew

No. It does not have a headphone jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Ivey View Post
Yes, it has a 1/8" jack on the camera for headphones. Just so you know, the Zoom H4n has two XLR inputs on it along with a headphone jack. That's the one I have.
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Wooops means i would need either a beachtek adapter or H4n immediately. Any other recorder other then H4n dats cheaper, something dat just has xlr input and no built in mic's required in it.

Still am waiting for some one to answer the 550D vs GH2 question !!
Shahzad Mian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD