60D Doesn't Overheat at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Major Player

60D Doesn't Overheat

If anyone has been wondering the 60D doesn't overheat. We did a shoot this weekend in the heat of the African sun with two 550D's and one 60D. We tried to keep the 550D's cool in between takes by placing them in shaded areas and even covered them with damp white cloths however we left the 60D in the sun and took no preventative heat measures. The 60D didn't overheat at all while both 550D's overheated.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have done several shoots with my 60D and it has not overheated yet. Even in Mexico.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Filmed a wedding with a 7D & 60D yesterday, it was really hot one of the bridesmaids almost passed out from heat stroke - 7D overheated, 60D didn't.
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Why would that be, the diference in the screen of the 60D being movable away from the body? That's significant.
I am new to DSLR video, looking at getting a 7D or 60D, so this is of great interest to me. How long did it take the 550D's to start over-heating?
7D has dual p[rocessors, does that affect over-heating?

Last edited by Steve Wolla; February 7th, 2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Added info
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Major Player

this is another thing that makes me bang my head in frustration that I bought the 7 d right before the 60 was released.

\Just had the 7d overheat several times on a shoot. Considering selling it at this point.
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Steve I didn't make a note of the exact time but the shoot with the 550D's took place in the morning hours between 6:30 & 9:30AM in that time frame they overheated. I have no idea what advantage the 60D has over the 550 & 7D but whatever Canon did seems to be working.

Chris I almost bought a 7D glad I waited. Personally I feel the 60D is far superior to the 7D "as a video camera" there is a few things I miss on the 7D but the swivel screen and quick access menu similar to that of the EX1 helped me forget about the 7D.
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Trustee

It will be interesting to see if the new 600D behaves as the 60D in this respect.

stelios
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

May have to do with the plastic body not as well sealed. I have never had a sealed video camera back to my Betacam.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Major Player

The 60D vs. 7D has a better time with heat management because

1. Fewer electronics. As has been pointed out, the 7D has dual processors vs. the 60D has one. Furthurmore, the 60D having come out later, those electronics may have benefitted from a die shrink, enhancing performance and reducing power consumption in the process. Which is why it gets by with just one processor. I would be curious what the power consumption numbers for the 7D vs. the 60D are. Given the two cameras appear to use the same battery, it would be a simple test to compare how long they last on a full charge. I'm betting the 60D wins due to reduced power consumption.

2. The flipout screen on the 60D, assuming you use it that way, means the sensor is not getting heated by the rear LCD display.

3. The flipout screen on the 60D, again assuming you use it that way, means heat from the sensor has a far thinner layer of material to go through to escape out the back of the camera.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Good points Bill, thanks for that.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Trustee

Re: 60D Doesn't Overheat

A major cause of the overheating on the 550D is the LCD panel, because just operating the camera in Liveview will cause it to overheat on a hot day. You don't need to record anything to make it happen (at least, this was my experience in Singapore outdoor temperatures).

With a swivel LCD as on the 60D, I expect there is less heat transfer from the LCD backlight to the camera body which by itself could be significant in preventing overheating.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Re: 60D Doesn't Overheat

I had the most overheating messages on my 7D when the LCD was off. I was using an external monitor.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD