Music video in low light shot with 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Music video in low light shot with 7D

Hey Guys, I just finished shooting a video with 80% of it in almost no light. I am coming from shooting the EX3 and I have to say the 7D really out performs the EX in low light. This is a video we shot 2 weeks ago. Any comments or suggestions on how to improve the color during out door shoots at night would greatly be appreciated. All of the street lights are a bright bright orange and I can't seem to get the color balance right even in manual.

Gear
2- 7D
50mm 1.4
16-35L 2.8
Cinevate Atlas 30
Monfrotto Monopod
Monfrotto Tripod
Glidecam Camcrane 200
Glidecam 4000HD

Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Major Player

awesome work
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. I have to give a lot of credit to these cameras. They allowed us to shoot in conditions that we wouldn't even think of shooting in before. I pretty much left my bag of lenses zipped up and shot it with the 50mm 1.4mm We actually thought most of the shots were too sharp and softened them in post.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

this is really well done, what kind of color grading did you do in post?
Jonny Norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Thanks, I really need to work on coloring actually specially night shots. But for the majority of the color I crushed the blacks a little and added a little blue to the lows and mids. Not much to be honest lol. I softened up some shots because they were a little too crisp specially for the tight shots.
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: Music video in low light shot with 7D

Wow, very impressive work there on the shots and the edit.

I'm just getting interested in having a DSLR rig for my work. Thanks for the insight on what they can do.
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #7
Trustee

I really liked that.

What picture profile did you use on the 7D?

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Impressive, and beautiful photography. Good music, too! The orange light is monochrome vapour light, any camera will struggle with this. I'm getting a 7D tomorrow as B-cam next to my 5D mkII. Especially after seeing this, I can't wait to put it to work. Congrats!
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for watching guys, I really struggled with getting the best quality video under the street lights. I used the 85mm 1.2 to make sure I got the best image possible hitting the camera. As for settings I really didn't change too much on the camera. I dropped the sharpness back 1 notch and the same for Contrast,Saturation. Other then that everything else was done in post using FCP Color.
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Jason,
Beautiful work and encourages me to use my 7D in low light for music groups. Great storyline and positive message. Overall the work is so good I didn't even notice streetlights. Thanks for sharing the gear you used. that's very helpful. You could use this for an ad campaign to stay off X. Please go out and sell it.

What did you use for audio? It's really good too.

Regards & happy shooting,
Doug.

Last edited by Doug Bailey; March 29th, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Doug for watching. Like I have said in earlier posts I use to use the EX3 and Z7 cameras so shooting in dark dark areas made me cringe. But honestly these cams with a good prime and you are set to go. I forgot to mention I used the 85mm 1.2 for the outdoor night shots. But the entire video was shot with 50mm 1.4 and 17-35mm 2.8. The sound was recorded at a recording studio not far from here. So the day of the shoot we just played it through a PA system with a click track so we could sync it. You will notice some shots being slowed down, we had the band play the song at double the speed and slowed it down in FCP. You know you have amazing artists when they play the song at twice the speed and still stay in time. lol
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Haha man that's awesome. Great work! Definitely shows the artist makes it look good, not the tool.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Buddy, in Cape Breton Buddy means Pal . LOL
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD