Ideas on shoot this Friday at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Ideas on shoot this Friday

I'm shooting a short this week in a church near times Square. It's an improvisation (documented another time, below), between dancer and bassist. Shooting with 5D2 and 60D, H2 audio recorder, variety of lenses (Canon 24-104L, 10-22, 50mm 1.8).

The bass player who will pluck, bow, and make other sounds with his bass while interacting with the dancer. This is a church near Times Square that has theatrical lights, and I will have lots of problems with car street noise which will possibly be edited out.

Unlike the documentation below, this will be a creative short that will be shot in many takes at different perspectives with two cameras, then edited together creatively. I'll have to find the best position to place the recorder, without it being seen on camera.

YouTube - In the Shadows (part 2)

Any helpful ideas about audio and video would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have two suggestions, get a cheap tripod, and put your h2 on that, place it cleverly aimed at your victim, as close as possible without being seen by either camera.

Or, if you have a sibling or friend that wouldn't mind, place your h2 on a monopod, to hold over your subject or under. I've done this with great results with the h4n zoom.
Jonny Norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestion. If you look at the video, you'll see that a tripod or person would be in the shot.

I do have a tiny, tabletop tripod that might be small enough, however.
Old February 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Look at using a Zoom H1 instead, much smaller and could be hidden on the bass player.
Dave Farrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

maybe a shotgun mic at a reasonable distance? results would depend on the acoustics of the space.

putting the recorder/mic on the musician might make for some undesirable handling noise...
...they will 'interact' with the dancer? depending on what you mean, that could be a problem if they have a mic on them for the same reason.

does the bassist have a pickup on their instrument? then you could just patch that direct in to a recorder and they could keep it in a pocket. an alternative the a pickup would be to tape an omni-directional lavalier under the bridge of the instrument.
this kind of thing would certainly benefit from (need) another mic to get the sound of the instrument in the space. using 2 recorders might not present any sync problems... but to be sure, with a wireless, you could transmit the lineout of one recorder to a spare channel on the other as a reference.
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Farrants View Post
Look at using a Zoom H1 instead, much smaller and could be hidden on the bass player.
As stated, any mic on the player would emit much noise as he is moving a lot, interacting with dancer.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKenna View Post
maybe a shotgun mic at a reasonable distance? results would depend on the acoustics of the space.

putting the recorder/mic on the musician might make for some undesirable handling noise...
...they will 'interact' with the dancer? depending on what you mean, that could be a problem if they have a mic on them for the same reason.

does the bassist have a pickup on their instrument? then you could just patch that direct in to a recorder and they could keep it in a pocket. an alternative the a pickup would be to tape an omni-directional lavalier under the bridge of the instrument.
this kind of thing would certainly benefit from (need) another mic to get the sound of the instrument in the space. using 2 recorders might not present any sync problems... but to be sure, with a wireless, you could transmit the lineout of one recorder to a spare channel on the other as a reference.
I will ask him about a pickup. I know he does electronic live "looping" in performance, so he must have one. Good idea!

Last edited by Sam Kanter; February 7th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ah, well, here's a strange suggestion that may just be exactly what you need

Wildlife Sound Recording Society - Amberwood reflector

http://www.wildlife-sound.org/images...en_parabol.jpg

I haven't tested it, but now that I've just thought of doing this, I will give it a shot as well.
Jonny Norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #9
Major Player

I mentioned the H1 as a cheaper option, well placed it could work and be discretely hidden. If I was doing this I'd use a TRAM TR50 taped under top layer of clothing or hidden in lapel / clothing fold etc and wired to a radio mic TX worn on a belt at the back of the talent, the RX could then be input to Zoom or similar recorder within TX distance. These mics have an excellent pickup, can be used reversed and hidden under clothing, they give virtually no "clothes rustle" if the talent is moving around and are widely used in the film and TV industry for difficult sound situations
Dave Farrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

...if the acoustics are nice, you might get away with a single, stereo recording from a well placed microphone.
if you can get a nice balance between the musician and the hall you're set. (i'm a big fan of m+s recording for this.)

Quote:
I will have lots of problems with car street noise which will possibly be edited out.
not much you can do about that, except accept it i suppose (remember the words of John Cage! it is NYC after all). but do get lots of room-tone recorded.

far worse than exterior noise, i think, are ventilation-systems within buildings. even when you can't hear the motors, the air pressures can be a real pain.
lighting grids are another one as sometimes the dimmers will buzz pretty loud.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Farrants View Post
I mentioned the H1 as a cheaper option, well placed it could work and be discretely hidden. If I was doing this I'd use a TRAM TR50 taped under top layer of clothing or hidden in lapel / clothing fold etc and wired to a radio mic TX worn on a belt at the back of the talent, the RX could then be input to Zoom or similar recorder within TX distance. These mics have an excellent pickup, can be used reversed and hidden under clothing, they give virtually no "clothes rustle" if the talent is moving around and are widely used in the film and TV industry for difficult sound situations
I spoke to the musician, he said he didn't feel he could be encumbered by receivers or cables, and that his bass pickup wasn't very good quality.

Think I'll stay with Zoom recorders (have two), and deal with background noise in post. Thanks!
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKenna View Post
...if the acoustics are nice, you might get away with a single, stereo recording from a well placed microphone.
if you can get a nice balance between the musician and the hall you're set. (i'm a big fan of m+s recording for this.)

not much you can do about that, except accept it i suppose (remember the words of John Cage! it is NYC after all). but do get lots of room-tone recorded.

I agree. I have two Zoom recorders (H2 and H4), I'll place at two locations behind pillars so they will be out of sight of cameras. Hopefully all will work out in post.

Thanks!

Any ideas about video that I may not have thought of?
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
Any ideas about video that I may not have thought of?
hmmm.
maybe set the white balance of both cameras to some fixed temp. (not auto)
the more you just 'keep it rolling', the easier it will be to sync sound to image in post.
...have fun!
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I've never heard of a live show that wasn't mixed, and I've never seen a mixing board that didn't have a master channel stereo out. red/white stereo to stereo head phone jack cable for $6 from radio shack, chat with the sound guy who likely wouldn't care, and you're in business plugged directly into your H2!
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Major Player

This is not a live show, and there is no mixing board. All A/V must be provided by me.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD