Correcting 7D Camera Mic Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 17th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Correcting 7D Camera Mic Audio

I just finished shooting a documentary and we had a malfunction with our H4N/Boom setup so I'm going to need to use some of the camera mic audio from the 7D.

It actually turned out really well; you only hear negative things about it but it's actually an exceptional little mic they have in there. Only problem is everything has a really sharp, crispness to it. If I could soften that up just a little bit and remove some background hiss, I think this could work.

So has anybody done this? And if so, what kinds of adjustments/tools did you use? Or does anybody know of any resources out there for this specific sort of adjustment?

Thanks!!!
Jon Salimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There is no simple solution to this. You're going to need to play around with filters and/or eq in your audio mixing program. Depending on the amount of background noise it should sound OK, but will never exactly match your properly recorded audio.

Good luck.
Jeremy Pevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Major Player

The biggest problem IMHO is that the 7D mic is way too hot. In loud environments audio is completely destroyed. In a quiet environment, I agree, not too bad.

Secondly, frequency response below 120hz totally sux.

I knock down the level a few db, kill a tiny bit of the high treble, and add some bass. Not perfect but better.

The hiss? dunno
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Try the free Audacity sound editing program.

Also there is Sound Soap.
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks guys! I'll give all the options a try.

It doesn't have to be perfect. I have pretty solid 5-10 track mixes for each scene, I just need some of these 7D tracks to exist somewhat low in the mix without dominating the other elements with it's deficiencies.
Jon Salimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Jon,
I'm certainly no audio expert but have a 7D and removed traffic noise in Audition and Soundbooth. They work in similar ways. Look for a YouTube tutorial on how to do this. Also lots of great threads on All Things Audio on this forum. I saw one recently on sweetening sound, which may help.
Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD