Shall I go for the t2i? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Shall I go for the t2i?

Let me add my vote for the 60D.

It's one of those times when I made a purchase with no buyers regret. I absolutely love it, and the more I use it and hear other users feedback I know I made the right choice.

There are some good prices on the 60D to be found. Look for them, it's worth the effort.

The next post you'll make will be, "Which kit lens should I get with the 60D?"
I have the 18-135 and it's a good starting point. I then bought a Tokina 11-16 wide zoom and I feel I have my bases covered for a long time.

Good luck!
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I do understand many folks are really pleased with ML in the T2i but I see occasional reports of a problem cropping up on location (where there is no time to "mess with it"). To get his camera to function at all again, one individual had to format the SDHC card in an audio recorder then the camera would function to reformat it and he was able to press on.
I know of nobody who has damaged a camera using ML. The guy who had to reformat in an audio recorder tried to put a bootable card into the camera, without the ML files. It was human error, a definate no no. Its well documented,as a definate "dont do" in the user guide. ML is a godsend, the features become a must have.
Amazing audio input options, audio monitoring, live histogram and waveform, zebra's, focus peaking, iso and kelvin adjustment and a ,whole lot more.
Regarding cameras, I would go for the cheapest option at the moment. These cameras are changing way to quickly. But in the APS-C sensor market the changes are mainly cosmetic. If I had known the 550D was coming out, I would not have got the 7D. The cost of a 550D can be recouped on 1 job, I know mine has payed for itself dozens of times over. As for overheating, maybe I am lucky, but I have never had a problem with it. The whole industry depends on folk wanting the latest and greatest, IMO the 550D does as good a job as any of the others, at a fraction of the cost. Look at what the other cameras are giving you in terms of useability, because there is no difference in video quality between any of them. I will happily use my 550D as B cam to my EX1 for the forseeable future, the only thing that would make me change it, would be if Canon sorted out the awful moire and aliasing issues that all these cameras are plagued with.

Last edited by Colin Rowe; February 23rd, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The viewfinder could be a plus as Im usually filming from ground low or high angles, but its not a necessity and I will be able to short things out without it. In case I need an external lcd, which shall I buy (cheap)
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Logothetis View Post
The viewfinder could be a plus as Im usually filming from ground low or high angles, but its not a necessity and I will be able to short things out without it. In case I need an external lcd, which shall I buy (cheap)
If you are happy with 480p native resolution and you want cheap, I have found two options; Liliput (check on ebay and search dvinfo about these) or you can find a really cheap 480p panel from China here:

7 Inch HD LCD monitor - In-Car Headrest or Stand

I think it is a reasonably recent emergence that cheap 480p panels are available. I haven't seen one of these, so it's possible it suffers from a poor viewing angle and colour bandwidth like other cheap panels, but hey, it's 30 quid plus shipping.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I was using this one before I won a Marshall in a contest.

LCD4Video | LCD4Video 7" LCD Monitor - LCD4Video
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donnelly View Post
If you are happy with 480p native resolution and you want cheap, I have found two options; Liliput (check on ebay and search dvinfo about these) or you can find a really cheap 480p panel from China here:

7 Inch HD LCD monitor - In-Car Headrest or Stand

I think it is a reasonably recent emergence that cheap 480p panels are available. I haven't seen one of these, so it's possible it suffers from a poor viewing angle and colour bandwidth like other cheap panels, but hey, it's 30 quid plus shipping.
Just know that these cheap monitors that have irregular resolutions will probably not display the DSLR's HDMI feed in a correct aspect ratio. I have a 7" Lilliput and it is slightly squished. There is no fixing it.

fyi
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Try setting the monitor to native 4:3, if it has that setting. I notice that gives me correct aspect ration in both modes. Problem, of course, is you still have pillars and a smaller image on screen. But at least you have it in proper aspect.

Interestingly, in the days of 4:3 video, we used to ad a Century cinema lens to the camera, and we would get a scruched up image in the monitor. It was the price we paid for a wide screen image to work with in post.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

OK people, back to the topic, My question was if its worth buying the t2i or wait for the t3i. The only difference is the swivel screen for video right?

Also I am considering buying a good tripod. What do you recommend in the range of 150-300 euros?

and as for sound the t3i with the new levels will need an external mic (like the zoom n1h etc) or just a shoe mic?

Cheers!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:14 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Farnes View Post
Just know that these cheap monitors that have irregular resolutions will probably not display the DSLR's HDMI feed in a correct aspect ratio. I have a 7" Lilliput and it is slightly squished. There is no fixing it.

fyi
BTW, I don't recommend a cheap monitor if you can afford the Lilliput, or better still a Marshal. The Lilliput is so cheap, anyone doing professional work ought to treat this as a minimum.

The interesting situation now is that the new features available in Magic Lantern (especially focus peaking, false colours and zebras) mean that a lower quality monitor can be considered for students and amateurs using the 550d.

The cheap monitor I mentioned does not have HDMI in. You use the composite from the camera's USB. 800x480 is a standard resolution though. In terms of framing, this gets closer to a 16:9 aspect ratio than the 3:2 display on the camera, meaning less letterboxing.

Unlike the HDMI output, I don't think there is a general problem with letterboxing on monitors using the composite signal, obviously depending on the monitor. You do lose sharpness on a composite signal, so it's not great for critical focus, unless you have focus peaking :)

By the way, I'm sure this is of no help to you but just in case, I presume you have tried switching overscan and underscan modes on your Lilliput? Just in case you have not, press the menu key for 4 seconds to toggle between the two.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM   #25
Major Player

I seem to remember trying everything, different modes, different display options on the camera, HDMI, DVI, etc.... I have yet to meet someone online that has successfully gotten the DSLR's live feed to display in an accurate aspect ratio on my lilliput model.

Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C 7 inch HDMI DVI TFT- LCD VGA

And for what I paid for it, I think I've seen better options since.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Logothetis View Post
OK people, back to the topic, My question was if its worth buying the t2i or wait for the t3i. The only difference is the swivel screen for video right?

Also I am considering buying a good tripod. What do you recommend in the range of 150-300 euros?

and as for sound the t3i with the new levels will need an external mic (like the zoom n1h etc) or just a shoe mic?

Cheers!
The 3 main differences are the swivel screen, the audio meters & level control, and the digital zoom. Although audio has been better implemented by Magic Lantern in the T2i so it actually has the advantage there.

The t3i, if it is the same as the 60D, will only display audio meters while in standby mode - Not very helpful in many situations. You could use an external mike with either but the t3i you would probably be better off with an external recorder so you can monitor the levels while recording. (The t2i with ML allows heaphones through the AV jack.)

As for a tripod, check out the Libec TH-650. Great value and better than any of the Manfrotto offerings at a similar price point.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
.....If I were in the market for one right now, I would go for the T3i....
You mean that you would get the T3i instead of the 60D? Why so?

Stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD