Video Help with 2Ti needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Video Help with 2Ti needed

Hi All

I recently bought a canon T2i to use on my R/C Helicopter. This is a pro set up. top of the line gimbal, two person operstion. Im having prblems getting good video with my T2i. So much so that I went back to shooting HD video with a sony HDR-HC9. Problem with these R/C helis is vibrations. What I though were vibrations causing problems was actualy my in-ability to use this DSLR for video.

It will be pretty simple, I think I just need a faster shutter speed.I shoot outdoors in full sun. I shoot with the stock 18-55mm lens. Im always at least 50 feet from the subject.

whats going on is the shutter speed is so slow what I though were vibrations was just image smear.

I need a god tutorial to lean how to shoot video with this camera, but any quick tip setting for this situation would be really helpfull. I need to be able to shoot with a T2i, 5D or 7D to compete.

Thanks

Edit to add- Im not looking for the 90 degree shutter rule. I dont want 'the film look"
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Video Help with 2Ti needed

Hi John go full manual, iso 200 in bright, 400 slightly darker surroundings, shoot shutter speed 1/60 or 1/50, settings neutral with sharp down -1, contrast -2/3, saturation -1/2, colour tone leave as is no change, tint +1, set your white balance with your white foam board or grey card, or go auto iso, auto wb, set to av or tv mode, in neutral but dont change your settings leave at defaults...shutter 1/50/60. if ya find its still smearing/blurring then try shutter 1/250 or slightly lower. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Also, what are you doing with the image stabilzation switch ? Try turning it off or on, as it may be causing you some issues ?

Also, might try a fixed lens-- a vintage Nikon or Pentax with adapters. I have a 28mm F3.5 Pentax that would seem to be perfect for that kind of application. You can buy adapters for about $ 20.00.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Trustee

good shout chris
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys. I will try it in a higher shutter speed and IS off
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Although I am overimpressed by the awesomeness of having a toy helicopter able to handle a T2i I'm also puzzled that since the main reason for using DSLRs is the shallow DOF, interchangeable lenses and low light performance, none of which would seem to matter much in the air, why you have chosen a DSLR. What would matter is resolution, which on a T21 isn't nearly as good as on many consumer AVCHD cams. I'm not surprised you got better results with a hc9, and you'd do better still with a TM900 of HFS. And save on fuel. Or am I missing something?
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Jon,
can I see something shooting with T2i and you Heli and also to know wich Heli you have?
Thanks
Gianni

PS: I would like to do the some but I would like to use the CAMERA goprohd and the GAUI 330X quadricopter due that I am not so good with helicopter.

Thanks
Gianni
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Although I am overimpressed by the awesomeness of having a toy helicopter able to handle a T2i I'm also puzzled that since the main reason for using DSLRs is the shallow DOF, interchangeable lenses and low light performance, none of which would seem to matter much in the air, why you have chosen a DSLR. What would matter is resolution, which on a T21 isn't nearly as good as on many consumer AVCHD cams. I'm not surprised you got better results with a hc9, and you'd do better still with a TM900 of HFS. And save on fuel. Or am I missing something?

Rainer, I agree with your above post 100%. You sound like a pro, so I will answer with this

If Im shooting for myself, i fly the HDR-HC9

I fly with the 2Ti because the customers want video from a DSLR nowdays. "Dont you know its better video"
is what i have been asked . Someone saw them on the web so, of course its the only thing that looks "professional"

If it were up to me I would be lugging around a canon XHA-1

Gianni

I am using a streched Trex 600 electric. Streched means it has a boom for a Trex 700. You strech it so you can put longer blades on a smaller heli for a bigger payload

I can fly up to 3.5 lbs payload for 12 minutes.

On the Gaui 330x i just got one and im using a go pro. Its a blast, very smooth and stable. You can even flim indoors. Also if you dont like the fisheye effect of the gopro you can change out the lens. search the web for the mod.

If you have questions about using helis for video/photo go to

Helifreak.com - Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect

here is a raw shoot i did friday with noone running the gimbal and no video downlink

Old February 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi John
Thanks a lot...what I thinking about is to buy the 330X and put the GOPROHD camera.
I don't understand what I can find the tutorial to change the lens and could you tell me how u put the Gopro under the Gaui?
I agree with you that under the heli is better to put a camera instead of DSLR for example the Canon Legria vixia 20 or 21 i fantastic.
Gianni
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Gianni

I bought this for a camera mount for the gGoPro

Gaui 330X 1-Axis Camera Mount Kit

As far as changing out the lens, when you use the GoPro at 1080 HD you will notice a fish eye look. You can remove the fish eye by changing the lens. I couldnt find it on the web, but go to

GoProUser.freeforums.org • Index page

They will tell you everything about the gopro. I have also seen some nice footage using the Sony NEX-5
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes John,I saw this support, but I would like to know if after that I put the support is too difficult to drive the Gaui?
Have you got something to suggest me and where did you see the picture with Gaui and Nex-5?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi John, just wanted to ask how much your whole set up, including accessories (excluding the t2i) is and where you bought it from? I'm based in Scotland, UK and would like to try out the same thing... cheers kathleen
Kathleen Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Kathleen,
I live in Italy and I tried the same...not with the Heli but with the Gaui and Goprohd...is not simple....but step by step I would like to inprove.
In wich way you would like to start and for shooting what?
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD