Anyone use this shoulder mount for t2i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone use this shoulder mount for t2i?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/702444-REG/Genus_GL_GCSMK_CAMERA_SHOULDER_MOUNT_SYSTEM.html
I really like the design of this one, and the price doesn't seem bad either.. Just curious if anyone is out there using it for their T2i. I'm wondering how the lineup will be for the camera.
There's not much written about it on B&H and even on the manufactures website.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anyone use this shoulder mount for t2i?

Too much money for this support. I am using this one for my 550D and is fantastic and much less money.

home

Stelios
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Stelios, which one from that link do you use?
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Too much money for this support. I am using this one for my 550D and is fantastic and much less money.

home

Stelios
Ye Stelios which one on the link spiderbrace 2 or 1 or the other mini ones, if its the spiderbrace 2 or 1? how do you manually change what you need to do on the camera, as you have to hold it with two hands??
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
New Boot

Guys, I build my camera mounts with bits and pieces from all the mount makers. They all use 15mm rods on 60mm centers, so they are all compatable. You can build what really fits your needs. For the shoulder mount I started with this mount.

CowboyStudio Photography Lighting | Studio Equipment | Studio Accessories

Its strong, adaptable, comfortable and you can’t beat the price. Use you imaginations.
Barry Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm not going to swear by it, but I use the Indisystem rails shoulder mount. Significantly cheaper, and with a follow focus. Course, it's significantly heavier. If that's not a problem, you'll get more for your dollar that way.

indiSYSTEM - Home

I use the IndiRails DSLR Pro. Heavy as all hell, but it gets the job done.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Brian... Thanks for the link. I'm liking what I see much better then what I originally sought after. How's the quality of your rail system? I'm thinking of grabbing one of their DSLR packages (ultra, bulldog, or areeba)... I know that you mentioned the weight as a possible problem... Anymore insight into your setup would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom View Post
Stelios, which one from that link do you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Ye Stelios which one on the link spiderbrace 2 or 1 or the other mini ones, if its the spiderbrace 2 or 1? how do you manually change what you need to do on the camera, as you have to hold it with two hands??
I use the Spiderbrace 2 "combo" with the 3rd grip (centered under the lens). The alignment with a viewfinder loupe brings it to the right position in front of my right eye. It also works well for a camcorder with an LCD that opens to the left.

The 3rd grip is just right for balance if you are going to focus with the focusing ring on the lens or with a follow focus.

For the money this is a pretty good bargain.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Steve -

I've attached a few pictures of the T2i set up with this shoulder rig. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, and of course, the mess behind. I had to use my phone's camera to take the pictures. Anyway, insight...

There are two things to note about this setup.

1) The weight. This thing can get damn heavy after a while. I mean, literally, you're hoping for some pain killers. One of the reasons the other gear is cheaper is because it's light as a feather, so to speak. That's not to say that this isn't manageable. I mean, I bought it, and it's worked fine for me. I'm just noting that it's not a light rig, and with more gear (like a monitor, or mic, or ___________ you're only going to increase that weight.

2) The handles and follow focus. Note that there are two handles for run and gun shooting. The problem is, if you're using a lens with a shallow DoF, such as the 50mm on this camera, you're going to have to dedicate one of your hands to doing the focus work. I'd say that's normally not a problem, but I'll redirect you back to point one to complete the illustration. I end up supporting the rig with my right hand, holding it between the left and right handles on the cross bar, and focus with my left. Probably not the greatest way to do it, but it works.

Overall, I'm pleased with it, and for the price, it was what I was looking for. As it is with all gear, you get what you pay for. If you've got the money, don't scrimp. If you're on a budget, these rails will work for you.

The last thing that I'd like to note, along those lines, is that the paint on the bars chips/comes off tremendously easy. I'm not a cosmetic kind of guy, so seeing silver, seeing the tighten marks, BAH, doesn't bother me, so long as the gear performs. Some people are bothered by that. Just something to note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Hey Brian... Thanks for the link. I'm liking what I see much better then what I originally sought after. How's the quality of your rail system? I'm thinking of grabbing one of their DSLR packages (ultra, bulldog, or areeba)... I know that you mentioned the weight as a possible problem... Anymore insight into your setup would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone use this shoulder mount for t2i?-imag0371.jpg   Anyone use this shoulder mount for t2i?-imag0372.jpg  

Anyone use this shoulder mount for t2i?-imag0373.jpg  
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Stelios
I agree....it's way to expensive imho, i personally use a standard cheap tripod (folded up), which lays and rest on my shoulder.
Jan Vanhoecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Brian...

Thanks for the reply. I ended up picking up the ultra unit made by them... The rails and the follow focus and left the matt box behind. I'm concerned though since this unit doesn't come with a counter weight on the shoulder.

I'm also concerned that the follow focus won't really work to well with most of me lens's. I'm using Canon's relatively cheap lens set and the focus rings seem very small compared to the expensive lens's out there. (think of the kit lens with the t2i or 60d).

overall it looks like it will be a good investment. I'll post a review here in case others are looking for something similar.

Steve
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Major Player

The follow focus set comes with 5 gears, all different sizes, as well as these little felt strips that you place inside the rings to adjust the grip on the lens. I've not come across a lens that didn't work in one of the five rings. You may have to purchase additional padding, which can be found at any hardware store, or even WalMart or something like that. So you should be good there. As for the counter weight, the shoulder piece has a section where you can bolt on weight. Though, again, when you get the rails, you'll see what I mean. Additional weight may not be what you're looking for. Just balance the rods, bringing in the camera and the handles to make the center of weight more... centered... that should solve your problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD