The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moire. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moir

from my VERY brief T3i testing, only got it yesterday. It doesn't seem as sharp at 3x as the GH2 does in teleextender mode. Is the Gh2 directly sampling 1920x1080?
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Re: The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moir

I'm also curious about jello. Is the rolling shutter effect reduced in zoom mode?
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #33
Major Player

For Phil & Ryan,

Does the zoom work in 720/60p mode? The manual seems to indicate that it's 1080p only.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
from my VERY brief T3i testing, only got it yesterday. It doesn't seem as sharp at 3x as the GH2 does in teleextender mode. Is the Gh2 directly sampling 1920x1080?
Here is way I look at what Canon and GH2 are doing. Gh2'd have a smaller chip, that might have approximately the same properties of a similar size section of the Canon APC chip. When the Canon does its 3x, I think it is sampling a smaller portion of chip, than the GH2. Thus there should be even less line skipping, and better detail, or at least very similar. If that is so, may be see less aliasing and moire, and maybe less issue with rolling shutter jello.

I did down load Ryan's .mov original, but he even has had to put that through render because he added titling. So I am not sure how much that render has affected things. Would be nice to test GH2 and Canon side by side to see if Canon actually gave us two camera's in one-- a 4/3's or close and an APC.

Also, as I have posted in other posts, and at the Magic Lantern development web, if Canon's code is selecting an area of the chip and sampling only that, can we also possibly through a magic lantern manipulation, get the Canon only to read a letter box portion of the 16 x 9, decreasing line skipping for a 235 aperature.
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
For Phil & Ryan,

Does the zoom work in 720/60p mode? The manual seems to indicate that it's 1080p only.
I haven't tried it myself, but I've read that 60p doesn't do the 3x zoom.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
I haven't used the GH2, but that doesn't surprise me at all. I would expect its tele extender mode to be more robust. I think the T3i is cropping down to a little below 1080p and then digitally scaling back up. I think...

Hard enough to tell that I still find it a very worthwhile feature.
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #37
Trustee

Does the Canon 60D have this x3 zoom feature? I have chosen to buy the 60D over the 600D for other reasons but this zoom feature is nice to have.

Stelios
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #38
Major Player

No, the 60D doesn't. However, its body has a nicer feel to it, more like the 7D I hear. Also, you can manually set the white balance to a kelvin value.

It seems that Canon just keeps adding a little feature here and there is all. Some rumblings about the 5D III and an improved video codec...
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #39
Major Player

Some direct comparison tests. Download original file at Vimeo.

Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD