The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moire. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moire.

The first one out there to get a T3i, I would like to see something tested.

Its my theory that if I stick a very wide lens on the camera, even shoot the wide end of the 18-55 off the T2i, and then shoot I shoot at 3 x digital zoom, I should have a better image that the same shot say without digital zoom and at 55mm setting on the zoom. It would makes sense that in the crop for that digital zoom, there should be less line skipping ??

Whose got one already ?
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moir

Mine arrives tomorrow. The results I've seen from 1 test are encouraging. I will know more tomorrow night.

http://cheesycam.com/testing-3x-w-100mm-f2-8l-is-macro/

As far as I understand it, the 3x setting in the zoom feature of the camera should result in a sensor crop where close to 1920x1080 pixels are used from the center of the sensor, resulting in a relatively robust image. As you zoom in towards 10x, the image will degrade in the traditional digital zoom sense.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: The New T3i - Will digital zoom allow normal shooting without Aliasing and Moir

Cool, Ryan, keep us posted.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Saw this video on YouTube.

YouTube - Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital Zoom Video Test
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Trustee

That was good bloody good
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Major Player

very interesting
do you lose any stops of light along the way?
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Major Player

First test shot will be up within the hour.

No, no light loss. Just cropping the sensor. Its like how the T3i/T2i/7D sensors are smaller than the 5D sensor, so you get a 1.6x crop factor. Now the "crop" factor is another 3x. Now, the tech behind how this works is not clear, and certainly, there aren't even enough pixels to crop the central 1920x1080 to get 3x, you'd have to go down to 1728px across. Still, its obviously that some sort of crop is occurring to provide this feature. As you zoom in beyond 3x though, you're entering no man's land where pixels are made up, resulting in a poor image.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Major Player

YouTube - T3i 3x-10x zoom test
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Major Player

You can download the original exported file before web compression at Vimeo.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:40 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Ryan. Hope to see some daylight 100 ISO long distance shots.

Also would like to see a 3x of your widest lens.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

And please, a comparison of the same FOV with and without the 3Xzoom i.e frame the shot, shoot, dial in 3X zoom, move backwards to get the same frame, shoot, repeat for 5X zoom, repeat for 10X zoom (last two steps not really nescecary).
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM   #12
Major Player

I will try to do that. Unfortunately, I work an hour from home and its dark by the time I get in. I can probably get to it Saturday. In the meantime, I expect to see more and more samples popping up all over.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I did a little test today to check for aliasing

Old March 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for the test Lawrence!

What do you think the flickering is at the bottom?
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Yes, quite interesting demonstration Laurence.

Okay, can you orient us as to what was going on.

On the opening shot, was that 10x digital, with the physical zoom set at wide ? ? And then 3x digital with the physical zoom at wide (18mm) ????

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD