Help!White flash in video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help!White flash in video?

Hey guys so far this has only happened 3 times but when i am recording in a semi-dark room and someone takes a photograph( atleast thats what i THINK it is), about the top 1/3 of my screen goes absolutely white. It is a really quick flash of white light that although its quick, is definitely noticeable. the pictures i attached show a pretty good example of whats happening. Is this simply the camera's white balance trying to adjust to the flash of somebody else's photo or what. I hope this is'nt a defect of my camera!!! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!White flash in video?-screen-shot-2011-03-04-10.23.56-am.png   Help!White flash in video?-screen-shot-2011-03-04-10.30.43-am.png  

Daniel Dayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Help!White flash in video?

This happens on all cameras with CMOS sensors and a rolling shutter system and, as far as I know, there is no way to avoid this. When you're shooting video, the shutter "rolls" across the sensor, exposing each frame. In other words the top and bottom of each frame is not being exposed simultaneously. There is an tiny lag as the shutter rolls across each frame. This is also what causes "jello" in fast pans.

Anyway, when someone fires off a flash, the portion of the frame that is currently being exposed when the flash goes off will be overexposed.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That is due to the CMOS sensor in the camera. They all do that. CMOS sensors have a rolling shutter, meaning that each line's exposure starts slightly later than that of the previous line.

If you shoot concerts and fashion shows where there are lots of strobes, you're better off with a 3CCD camera.
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys, relieved me even though thats kinda bad news since i usually shoot small little shows.cheers
Daniel Dayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you were shooting with a 3ccd camera, the entire frame would be overexposed, rather than just part of the frame. Either way, flashes are annoying. If you're shooting any sort of event where people are shooting with flashes, it's just something you have to live with. It used to drive me crazy but I hardly even notice it anymore.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD