remote timer problem on 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Major Player

remote timer problem on 7D

I am in Minneapolis on a shoot and I ordered an aftermarket remote timer on eBay that is supposed to work with the 7D. I can't get it to communicate withe the camera. I have the camera set on AV and I want to shoot a timelapse of the sunrise over Minneapolis. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I set up the timer to take a still every 10 seconds and when I press the start button it beeps and counts down from 10, then beeps again, but there is not click of the shutter. I tried putting the drive mode of the camera into the different remote settings, but it still doesn't work. I went through the menu and can't find anything that needs to be turned on.

Did I buy a bum remote? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: remote timer problem on 7D

Try it in manual. It's timed exposure intervals won't function with an unknown exposure time, as in AV.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried it in all modes. I was going to use AV because that is what Philip Bloom said to use when shooting changing light levels.

I even put the camera in bulb and just tried to use the thing as a regular camera remote and it didn't work either. Seems that the camera isn't getting a signal....
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Maybe it's just DOA.

Time to rent one ?

I'm editing my post here because I just tested the Satechi TR-A and it works with AV mode.

Last edited by Kirk Candlish; March 16th, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, I think that it is DOA. It only cost $30, but it came from Hong Kong and I won't see my money again. Stinks...
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Seems like you only have the first initial timer set, hit mode again which is the time between each frame. It should go first start time, time between frames, open shutter time and frames. It will work in any mode, AV mode is the mode you use for sunrise/sunset. oh yeah, I would do 1 second between frames not 10, the sun moves quick and you don't wanna lose it.
Dp Reel http://www.visualcinema.com/reels/ Rentals in NYC http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/ Scarlet-X SN#634 "HEXTALL"
Jonanthan Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Major Player

tried that. still doesn't work.....
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #8
Major Player

Sounds like you have a DOA. I bought one of these from Ebay 18 months ago for my then 20D, only just got round to testing it on my 7D after seeing this thread - works fine.
Dave Farrants is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD