Tascam DR100 and outputting to camera? Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tascam DR100 and outputting to camera? Help

I have a Tascam DR100 audio recorder. I love it. External level controls, priceless. There is a line out on the recorder and I've tried putting this into the camera mic port. It always comes out WAY overmodulated. Is there any way to fix this without buying a mixer? I don't see a mic level in the camera menu and there isn't a line out level in the DR100 that I'm aware of. Thanks for any tips.

***Found the answer. Line to mic level cable.

Last edited by Annen James; March 17th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tascam DR100 and outputting to camera? Help

Go to Audio forum - there are posts on this actual topic. You need a special cable but its far from ideal.

It's not a good thing to do anyway and why would you?

I record into the Tascam while on the Canon is a Rode videomic pro - double up recording is nice and safe. Plus the Rode gives you audio to synch to.

I monitor from the tascam.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Tascam DR100 and outputting to camera? Help

Hi Annen,
Great advice from Jon. Thanks for your comments on the Tascam, I'm about to get one.

Just bought an el cheapo lav mic and 20ft cable with stereo adapter from Radio Shack. I think the whole thing came to about $47. This cable might work for you if you want to go that way. At the price it's worth a try.

I compared this setup to my excellent compact Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun mic (dumped my videomic) in a dummy controlled situation from about 10 ft. The lav mic was far better. Maybe it was an unfair test, but I wanted to shoot a cooking demo with a 50mmm 1.4 and that would be the shooting distance.

Shot an outdoor music group with speakers blaring and distorted on the weekend with the Senny. I'm not an audio guy and expected unusable garbage, but can say I'm blown away with the audio. It sorted very acceptable audio from a truly impossible situation.

Jon:
"I monitor from the tascam"
Can you share exactly what you have please so I can put a buy list together and get it right first time, thanks. Cards, cables, headphones, accessories etc.

Regards & happy shooting,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD