LCDVF-frame comes off whilst shooting! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Major Player

LCDVF-frame comes off whilst shooting!

i bought an LCDVF for my 7d around a year ago and until recently i had been very happy with it. it seems well made, offers just enough magnification and has a great price. all good.
but... i have had a major problem happen twice whilst filming. the frame which sticks to the back of the camera has come off whilst shooting. a real nightmare as you can imagine! the frames had been stuck on with great care and according to instructions. the first one came off after 9 months of use. i was filming a concert, an hour of filming handheld with the LCDVF pressed to my eye for stability when it started moving around 45 minutes into the concert. worrying stuff! by the end it had come right off. i managed and i put it down to bad luck.
so i double checked the website and followed the instructions again and stuck the second frame on. it lasted 5 months. this weekend it came off towards the end of a wedding shoot (thankfully after most of the important stuff). once again i was an intensive handheld shoot with the LCDVF pressed to my eye to add stability. this is a normal way to shoot for me and not the only times i have used the LCDVF in this way but they happen to be 2 of the most intense shoots i used it on. i don't know what the problem is, whether the heat of the camera melts the glue or whether it the pressure of my eye but it's not good!
i will be sending an email to LCDVF to find out their opinion but meanwhile i'd like to know if anyone else has had similar problems.
it's a shame because up until these incidents occurred i was very happy but i can't risk that happening again on a paid shoot.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: LCDVF-frame comes off whilst shooting!

I read somewere that you can buy one of those lcd shades that slide on. Take off the three flaps and glue on the LCDF . Slide off the eyepiece then slide on the modified LCDF. There is a youtube about it for the T2i
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Major Player

cheers donald. i'll check it out.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Major Player

I found the link

Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Donald,
nice but this is for the 7D can you give us the link on Youtube for the 550d due that I also have this problem?
Thanks
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Major Player

thanks again donald! if i don't get a decent solution from LCDVF i'll try this.

gianni, i imagine it's the same for your camera but with this:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=c....c0.m270.l1313
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes but I live in Italy, and if I pay 10 $ for it and 50 $ to delivery is better that I buy a new LCDVF....due that I never see it here!!
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Major Player

I was in the same boat as you. I found that the glue becomes loose in the heat and can sometimes pop off over time. After losing both frames over 12 months, last week I sent an email to LCDVF to ask for a new glue frame and a couple of extra magnets (that had also come loose)... and they sent me a completely new viewfinder kit! Am VERY happy with them for doing this.

I think the only foolproof attachment would be a mechanical one (like the new Zacutos that attach to the tripod screw)... but this will take a lot more time to take on and off. Otherwise, avoid leaving the LCDVF unsupported (not up to your eye) for periods of time when the weather is warm or the camera body/screen is warm. That's how mine came loose both times.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Trustee

This is exactly why the Hoodman Cinema Pro Kit may be the best solution for keeping a viewfinder loupe in place on the camera. I avoided even considering it at first because of the "klunky" look of the whole thing. I had the Hoodloupe and the 3x eyepiece and finally ordered that "crane".

At first I kept it with the T2i, it mounts in seconds, slide the crane into the shoe on top of the camera and tighten the knurled wheel down (just like with a shoe mount flash). I have moved mine around between the T2i, 7D, and now 60D, readjustment of the loupe position in relation to the LCD generally takes me less than 20-30 seconds.

I've never had it come off (or cause any other problems) in the middle of a shoot.

Cinema Kit Pro-Hoodman Corporation

I also have the CAVISION LCD viewfinder loupe kit with "swingaway" adapter. 6x eyepiece but it takes about 3-5 minutes to mount or unmount. Yet I still like to use it with the 7D and 60D. But the Hoodman setup is far faster and much more convenient.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Major Player

I agree Bruce. I have found the Hoodman Cinema Pro is very quick and versatile. It also works very well if you are switching back and forth between using a loupe and using a monitor.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Major Player

gianni, i'm not sure i understand you. the lcd screen hood i sent you the link for has free delivery.

brian, i'm glad to hear that LCDVF took your problem seriously and sent u a new one. that's the correct way to treat customers.
unfortunately if hot weather and shooting for long periods is going to be a problem then it looks like the LCDVF won't suit my needs. i live in madrid, spain and it's only april and we are already in the mid 20s centigrade. i need to shoot long periods all through the summer in temperatures in the 30s- 40s centigrade.
that's a bummer as i like the LCDVF otherwise.

bob and bruce, i'll probably have to check the Hoodman Cinema Pro out.
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Tourist

I also bought an LCDVF for my 7D about a year ago and had the same heat problem. There was a known problem with the adhesive on frames at that time and LCDVF produced frames with a stronger adhesive. I have had no problem since with the new adhesive, and it can get pretty warm here in LA during the summer too!

Derek Goodall
Goodwood Productions, Inc. , Los Angeles
Derek Goodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #13
Major Player

derek, interesting. do you use the camera handheld with the LCDVF pressed to your eye for long period? if so, this could be good news!
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Tourist

Yes. Been shooting a restaurant/travel show involving hours shooting handheld in hot kitchens without any problems.
Derek Goodall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD