File naming/numbering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

File naming/numbering

When shoot with two cameras, I have identical file names which gets confusing when I edit. Is there a way to start the numbering with a specified number? This way I could start one camera with 1000 and the other with 5000 or whatever.
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: File naming/numbering

Personally I think the best option is to rename when downloading, using a dedicated downloading software or a Digital Asset Management software (like Adobe Bridge).
These softwares can rename the files according to exif data so you can easily assign any naming scheme you like to differentiate between cameras.
I use a very handy inexpensive software called Breeze Downloader Pro, but I'm sure there are other alternatives maybe even free ones.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shohet View Post
Personally I think the best option is to rename when downloading, using a dedicated downloading software or a Digital Asset Management software (like Adobe Bridge).
These softwares can rename the files according to exif data so you can easily assign any naming scheme you like to differentiate between cameras.
I use a very handy inexpensive software called Breeze Downloader Pro, but I'm sure there are other alternatives maybe even free ones.
Interesting. I'll look into that. I use Vegas, so I don't need to transcode, and the thought of a software solution didn't occur to me.
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Just remembered another software solution if you don't find a free photo downloader or don't want to buy one -
There's a nice freeware called "Bulk Rename Utility" which you can use to quickly batch rename and/or add a prefix to an entire folder of files.

cheers.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sounds Perfect. Thanks
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Shane Hurlbut's tip is really good imo, which is to take a picture rename it IMG_0999 and reinsert into the camera then all the footage will be 1000 and upwards. If you using more then one camera, take a picture on the B Cam and renamed that IMG_1999 and then all the footage will be 2000 and upwards. It show this on a 7D so I presume it'll work on all Canon DSLRs.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #7
New Boot

Or you can use Canon ZoomBrowser to automaticaly rename while download from card...
Gintaras Mockus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Major Player

I wish I could find the tutorial. I think it was on the B&H site. But if you take a little clip of a video using camera "B" take out the SD card put into computer and rename from say MVI_0001.MOV to MVI_5001.MOV it should continue numerically. This was done on the 5D. So I do not know if it will be the same on the T2i.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Major Player

^ Yeah, that's what I was on about a few posts up. It's the Shane Hurlbut DSLR tutorial series for B&H, but he specifically took a picture a renamed it to IMG_0999.jpg so that everything that would follow would be in the 1000s. He did it with a picture has the file numbering must be the same fro both photos and videos. I'm going to be trying it on a shoot next week with a couple of 550Ds so will find out if it works on other Canon DSLRs.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Well I attempted doing the Shane Hurlbut tip today with a 550D but it didn't work, shame.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD